VMware Communities
indicium
Contributor
Contributor

VM suspend disk activity

I am having a real problem with a VM when I suspend it.  After suspending it continues using the HD and sometimes it goes on for an hour or more, I usually restart or shut down the host.  This doesn't happent with powering down a machine but I prefer to suspend as its faster to bring it up.  I loogoff the VM and select Power - Suspend from the dropdown.

It also takes a long time to load the VM after one of these slow shutdowns.

Any sugestions?

The host is Windows 7 Professional x64 and the guest is Windows 7 Enterprise (Server Access Machine) x64 running under Player 4.0.1 build 528992.

Hardware is Thinkpad T410: core i5-520, 8 GB Ram, 750 GB HD

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

check the files inside the VM directory for fragmentation - often the vmem file is higly fragmented

to speed up suspend :
reduce the amount of RAM
experiment with the parameter  mainmem.useNamedFile = "true" / "false" in the vmx-file.

Make sure you do not run any Antivirus tools that scan vmdks or vmem files

It may also help to  run sync.exe or similar tools inside the VM before you suspend it

0 Kudos
indicium
Contributor
Contributor

I checked and no fragmentation on the partition.  I'll try the suggested parameter.  Actually I have 3 GB Ram set on the VM and I upped it from 2 and it suspends faster.  I set the Antivirus to exclude those extensions.

I checked the VMX file and found that its not like the VM's VMX files.  I am attaching a copy.  It appears that VM Tools is not installed yet I not only installed it, I upgraded Tools when I upgraded to 4.0 and again to 4.0.1  Its also been renamed so that i could reinstall Tools.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

that looks like the vmxf file

0 Kudos