VMware Communities
a_gunsinger
Contributor
Contributor

VM in VM Player - Copy to another PC running VM Player?

I did search first and there does not seem to be a simple answer to copying one VM I created on one PC running VM Player to another PC with VMP on it.  Sphere, Converter, workstation - yes.  But no VMP to VMP isntuctions.

If I need to upgrade to Workstation thats fine, but would then need a link or instructions on how to get this VM Ive got just perfect over to other machines.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

With the VM powered off, copy the entire directory the VM is contained in to the other PC, and then open it with VMware Player there.  You shouldn't need to do anything more than this.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
a_gunsinger
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Brian

I didnt notice where the folder got created - is there a default local?  Many thanks.

On an asise. Im going to mirror this entire hard drive to 3 other machines of the exact make/model/build.  I wonder itf it will be seamless ;^)

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I didnt notice where the folder got created - is there a default local?

You should probably pay more attention! Smiley Happy

Look in the Help File: Creating a Virtual Machine > Virtual Machine Location

a_gunsinger
Contributor
Contributor

>>>>>You should probably pay more attention!

If I had a nickle for everytime someone told me that!  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if you search the hosts disks for *.vmx files you will find your VMs.

*.vmx = virtual machine configuration file - doubleclick starts the VM

0 Kudos
a_gunsinger
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the helpful repleis.  Sorry it only lkets me choose one Helpful Answer, as they all were helpful.

0 Kudos