VMware Communities
eskimojoe
Contributor
Contributor

VM XP image slow - Solved

I had built my sister-in-law an XP PC which now had a fan that failed. I had built a newer PC with Windows 7 64 bit on it and gave it to her.

She wanted addresses that were in CreataCard Gold 3 which would not run on Windows 7 64 bit due to it using a 16 bit installer.

I brought the hard drive back and ran DISK2VHD and then ran STARWIND V2V and created a VMDK file.

I brought it up under VMWare on an old PC that doesn't support VT to test getting it bootable. It ran somewhat slow.

I got the addresses she wanted off of it.

I then wanted to move it to my main Core I5 PC running Windows 7 to save it in case she wanted something else off of it later..

That is when it got really super slow. I found turning off VT helped some since it wasn't as slow on the older PC.

I found a discussion about Avast and AVG needing to turn off the VT setting in those products.

It was so slow I never could get into the Avast settings to change it. I ended up just uninstalling it. That helped a little but not much.

I noticed the CPU was running 100% with most of the CPU in Taskmgr.  I then found a discussion about 100% CPU.

It said to go into the device manager and expand the Computer and start the driver update to change it from ACPI.

Then select - No not this time. Then select - Install from a list or specific location. Select - Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.

Select - Standard PC. It will have you reboot the image. After the reboot, it installed a bunch of different drivers.

Not sure if this would affect activation. I had a Windows XP Pro Retail I had used for the older PC I had built for her.

I had no issue with activation. It may have been because of the Retail license.

It runs a lot better now.  One change at shutdown that is different now. It says the CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system.

Power off or reset the virtual machine. When you x out of that it says it is now safe to turn off your computer.

I then select Player at the top  Then - Power.  Then Next  - Shut Down Guest.

This isn't the original discussion I found but mentions the procedure.

windows xp - VirtualBox CPU usage 100% on host - Super User

0 Kudos
0 Replies