VMware Communities
smc0862ire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Image created with VMPlayer 3.1 and no snapshots in Workstation 7.1

Hi,

I created a Windows 7 professional VM using the VMPlayer version 3.1.  Everything is fine with this and the images starts and runs perfectly.  A co-worker has installed and is using VMWorkstation version 7.1.  I gave him a copy of the image and it runs within the workstation, but he is unable to create snapshots with this image.

I know that VMPlayer does not allow for the creation of snapshot, but I was assuming this would be more of the application not supporting this feature.  Is the actual VM image created in such a way that it prohibits snapshots being created?  The image is set to 'persistent'.

Thanks

Shawn

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

IMO this is not an issue with VMware Workstation, but more about the HDD configuration. "Independent" disks are always excluded from snapshots. To allow snapshots, edit the virtual HDD settings. Under Advanced... uncheck Independent.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

IMO this is not an issue with VMware Workstation, but more about the HDD configuration. "Independent" disks are always excluded from snapshots. To allow snapshots, edit the virtual HDD settings. Under Advanced... uncheck Independent.

André

0 Kudos
smc0862ire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

André,

Thanks, that solved the problem.  I thought it was the persistent / non-persistent value.  Thanks for the help.

-Shawn

0 Kudos