VMware Communities
markverhyden
Contributor
Contributor

VIX API, Player 16, GNS3, and Ubuntu 20.04

As the subject implies I'm trying to get GNS3 running with the mix in the subject line.  After much effort I was finally able to download the VIX API .bundle.  Everything else in installed and runs other than the GNS3 VM.  Says vmrun missing which, based on research, looks like it gets installed via VIX..

Anyone had any luck with this config?  I've got it running on W10P but really prefer to use a *nix as I've already got packet capture on it as well as working on software dev with Rust.

Example of the errors below.  They all look like code that's been written for a different environment, ie packages are missing.  What I do have is all up to date.  TIA Mark

citsdev@citsdev-ThinkPad-T450s:~/Downloads$ sudo ./VMware-VIX-1.15.7-5115892.x86_64.bundle
Extracting VMware Installer...done.

(vmware-installer.py:7682): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
/usr/share/themes/Yaru/gtk-2.0/main.rc:775: error: unexpected identifier `direction', expected character `}'

(vmware-installer.py:7682): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
/usr/share/themes/Yaru/gtk-2.0/hacks.rc:28: error: invalid string constant "normal_entry", expected valid string constant
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/tmp4m7l8cwm.vmis.env", line 132, in <module>
    exec(fileObj.read(), mod.__dict__)
  File "<string>", line 265
    except OSError, e:
                  ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Exception info : [Component did not register an installer].
Check the log /var/log/vmware-installer for details.

Exception info : [VMIS:name 'gui' is not defined].

8 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please use the "VMware-VIX-1.17.0" version and have a try, you can download it from the Ideally when you installed the VIX bundle, "vmrun" should be also installed

0 Kudos
vasyaa56
Contributor
Contributor

Similar message for 1.17.0 on Ubuntu 20.04 for VMware Player 16.1.0

$ sudo ./VMware-VIX-1.17.0-6661328.x86_64.bundle 
Extracting VMware Installer...done.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/tmpdbveel9a.vmis.env", line 132, in <module>
    exec(fileObj.read(), mod.__dict__)
  File "<string>", line 265
    except OSError, e:
                  ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Exception info : [Component did not register an installer].

Exception info : [VMIS:name 'gui' is not defined].

0 Kudos
Torro2185
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have the exact same issue as well. I have Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS.
I have tried VMware-VIX-1.15.8-5528349.x86_64.bundle and VMware-VIX-1.17.0-6661328.x86_64.bundle. Both gives the same error

/Torro2185

0 Kudos
sretlaw
Contributor
Contributor

I also have exactly the same error and the same environment (but with VMware-VIX-1.17.0-6661328.x86_64.bundle) as above.
Hoping for a fix or some help...

0 Kudos
YA-ALMALKI
Contributor
Contributor

facing the same issue on "Ubuntu, VERSION="20.04.2 LTS" vmWare Workstation Player 16

0 Kudos
JerMah
Contributor
Contributor

Same error on docker ubuntu:20.10 image.

0 Kudos
gouky10
Contributor
Contributor

Same error when trying to install VIX

---

I find that is depreceated: https://developer.vmware.com/docs/6635/virtual-disk-development-kit-programming-guide/doc/GUID-DA208...

The VIX API was a popular developer interface for VMware Workstation and other hosted products. It has been deprecated for vSphere. See the VMware developer documentation for information about the VIX AP

I hardcode could work:

https://rguske.github.io/post/vmware-ovftool-installation-was-unsuccessful-on-ubuntu-20/

0 Kudos
kryl-
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same error on debian 11 with bundle : VMware-VIX-1.17.0-6661328.x86_64.bundle

Any idea ?

0 Kudos