VMware Communities
rberchjr
Contributor
Contributor

Using Windows 10 and vmware player 12.5 to run Linux on my system and get errors

I am using Windows 10 and recently installed vmware player 12.5 to run Linux on my system and I am constantly getting errors when i try to play any distro of Linux stating the following:

This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.

This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.

Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.

(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'

(2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed.

(3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware Player.

(4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.

For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152.

I have hyper-v activated in Windows and have verified I am, in fact, running a 64-bit OS and processor so the 64 bit guest OS should be able to run just fine.  I use Mcafee Internet Security as my AV and can't think of anything that would interfere with the guest OS from that particular AV.  I am doing this at home so that I can practice with Linux for my online college classes.  Any information that can be offered on solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.  I have attached the vmware.log file from my Ubuntu 64-bit 16.04.1 VM. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
junian_dani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I think the log message is very clear to describe the issue. Have you enabled Intel VT-x feature on the BIOS setting of your desktop?

http://www.howtogeek.com/213795/how-to-enable-intel-vt-x-in-your-computers-bios-or-uefi-firmware/

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

As long as the Hyper-V role is enabled you cannot run VMware Workstation because in that case the host OS already runs under a hypervisor and no longer gives bare metal access to VMware Workstation.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos