VMware Communities
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Use IPv6 Internet connection to ISP.

After much searching, I cannot find any ideas that work to allow my VMware Player guest to use my host ISP IPv6 connection.  Most of what I found says to use a Bridged connection and it should work.  I have tried this but the adapter says "Identifying" for many seconds then says "Unidentified network"  I have tried all possible modes (NAT, Bridged, Custom) except "LAN segment" and end up the same - "Unidentified network".  I have no problem using the IPv6 connection on my host.  Both host and guest are running W7 x64 and VMware Player is 6.0.1 build-1379776.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos
2 Replies
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Even when I enable "Replicate physical adapter..." and select my Broadcom NIC (one connected to Internet) the adapter continues to say it is an Intel adapter.

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I cannot get a Bridged connection to work even if I disable IPv6 on my host NIC.  Here is a screen shot of the VNET Editor.  I found an old video describing how to fix failing bridged connections.  As near as I can tell all is OK.

VNET_Ed.jpg

The guest NIC says "Identifying" for a long time then says "Unidentified network" and I have no Internet access.  The IPv4 address is 169.254... which leads me to think there is no DHCP service for VMnet0.  What is supposed to provide DHCP service to the bridged NIC?  Thanks much, John.

0 Kudos