VMware Communities
pattyg98
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading from XP to Windows 7: SCSI controller error message

I am upgrading from XP to Windows 7 on a virtual computer set up with VMWare player. During the upgrade, I get this message:"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Windows needs the driver for device [VMware SCSI Controller]. Click 'Load Driver' and load the required device driver."

I have downloaded VMWare Tools but when I point to the VMWare Tools Windows does not detect the driver.

Suggestions?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Windows XP is not directly upgradeable to Windows 7, meaning all other non-OS applications will need to be installed just as if this was a completely new install on a new hard drive, so in a Virtual Machine it's a bit senseless to preform an upgrade from XP to 7! Smiley Wink

Just create a new Windows 7 Virtual Machine and install it directly.

0 Kudos
pattyg98
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to do it that way, but unfortunately my Win 7 license is for an upgrade only, not a new install. I have been able to upgrade my actual computer from XP to Win 7 without a hitch.

Sent from my iPad

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to several forum posts and magazines you can do a clean install using the Update DVD. Take a look at e.g. http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/256721-clean-install-windows-7-upgrade-media-its-easy-just-ask... or http://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Der-Upgrade-Trick-849648.html (in German) how this works.

André

PS: I'm no lawyer, but please don't forget the legal aspect.

I have been able to upgrade my actual computer from XP to Win 7 without a hitch.

You may need a second license for the virtual machine!

0 Kudos
pattyg98
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much, André.

I made it up to the CMD prompt, but when I typed in slmgr /rearm, I got this error: Access denied. The requested action requires elevated privileges. I am set as the administrator of the virtual machines. Further suggestions? Thanks so much for this help.

Patricia

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Select the Command Prompt shortcut with a right-click choosing the Run as administrator command then you're in an elevated command prompt and the slmgr /rearm command should run properly.

0 Kudos
pattyg98
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, all set. I was able to run the CMD prompt as an Administrator. Should be all set licensing-wise, also. Multi-copy! Thanks.

0 Kudos
pattyg98
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks both of you. All set but unfortunately WIndows is still not liking the code. Oddly, it is asking for a Win 7 Home Basic code even though the CD I used to install it is for Windows Home Premium.

Message: "The product key you entered will not work with this edition of Windows 7. You must either run Windows 7 Setup or enter a Windows 7 Home Basic product key."

Further suggestions? Thanks for the previous help!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

When you created the VM, did you select "Easy Install" (i.e. "Installer disk image file") or "I will install the operating system later"?

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

When installing Windows 7 without using the Product Key one needs to select the proper version one has the key for.  In other words when not using the Product Key then in the ensuing dialog boxes one has the opportunity to select between various version and one then needs to select the proper version, the correct one for the particular Product Key one has.

You'll have to start over and be more careful as you walk through the dialog boxes. Smiley Wink

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - I'm talking about the actual Windows Install Dialog Boxes, not the Virtual Machine Wizard. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
pattyg98
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure, but I think I chose the "installer disk image file."

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

pattyg98 wrote: I am not sure, but I think I chose the "installer disk image file."

You cannot use Easy Install when installing from an upgrade disc, select Create a custom virtual machine and then make sure when you install you select the proper version you have the key for as you walk though the various dialog boxes during the actual install of Windows. (I'm not referring to when walking through the New Virtual Machine Assistant however of course select the correct one there as well. Smiley Wink)

0 Kudos
pattyg98
Contributor
Contributor

Happy ending. I upgraded over the Windows 7 Home Basic I had installed with my Windows Home Premium upgrade, entered my code, and now everything is working.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos