VMware Communities
MaxDel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading from V3.1.4 to V16

Hello Everybody,

I'm looking for a solution to upgrade a virtuel machine from my old computer wich is running on Vmware Player V3.1.4. I can't open it on VMware V16 (obviously). I tried to use the OVFtools with the idea of using Virtual Box as "bridge" to come back on V16, but same problem ... (you can see the attached picture)

Failed to convert on OVF.PNG

Does anybody have an idea ?

Thank you for your help,

Regards,

Maxime Delclax

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you may try to do is to upgrade the virtual hardware version manually by editing the VM's .vmx file (virtualHW.version = "x").
I'd recommend that you backup the VM's files/folder before doing this, and that you increase the version in small steps until it works. Since you are currently running Player 3.x on the old system, you may want to try virtualHW.version = "7" in a first step. Remember to close VMware Player, so that the .vmx file gets re-read after the modification.
For a version overview, see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003746

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
MaxDel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

a_p_,

Thank you for your solution, it worked great !!

As you said, I changed config.version and virtualHW.version by taking exemple on an other virtual machine wich is running on V16 , and success ...

Before modification :

MaxDel_0-1611656369614.png

After modification :

MaxDel_1-1611656426024.png

If it can helped anyone ...

Thank you 🙂 

Regards,

Maxime Delclaux

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have no idea how to do it directly, but couldn't you Upgrade it by using versions between those two? How many versions back are supported by each version, might be documented in the readme-file and thus you could deduct what the intermediate versions need to be - without installing unnecessary number of versions.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you may try to do is to upgrade the virtual hardware version manually by editing the VM's .vmx file (virtualHW.version = "x").
I'd recommend that you backup the VM's files/folder before doing this, and that you increase the version in small steps until it works. Since you are currently running Player 3.x on the old system, you may want to try virtualHW.version = "7" in a first step. Remember to close VMware Player, so that the .vmx file gets re-read after the modification.
For a version overview, see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003746

André

0 Kudos
MaxDel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

a_p_,

Thank you for your solution, it worked great !!

As you said, I changed config.version and virtualHW.version by taking exemple on an other virtual machine wich is running on V16 , and success ...

Before modification :

MaxDel_0-1611656369614.png

After modification :

MaxDel_1-1611656426024.png

If it can helped anyone ...

Thank you 🙂 

Regards,

Maxime Delclaux

0 Kudos