VMware Communities
vmware3usr
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading VM Player from 3.01 to latest version?

I have been using VM Player as the OS player for a Technical program that uses the VM version 3.01.  It asks me if I would like to upgrade to a newer version, but each time I try it tells me it is not possible with the current version installed.  Checking the Downloads for VM Player if I read them correctly I may not be able to do this for various reasons?  I have the required CPU/Hardware for the latest intallation.  I downloaded Version 5.1 and started to run it, but it now wants to Uninstall the current installation.  My concern is that the Tech program may not or will not then run under the newer VM Player installation IF it was issued or written for the VM Player 3.01 version.  The question is, will that make any difference if I do the uninstall of 3.01 then continue the 5.1 installation.  I don't want to lose the operational access to the technical program - it does use a coded entry during the installation CD and again I'm not sure whether there will be an option to re-enter that ID code in the new installation?  Any help will be appreciated, Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If the current version of VMware Player is doing what you need it to do then I'd strongly suggest you leave well enough alone! Smiley Wink  That said you shouldn't have to be told to backup your VM so in the event there is an issue with upgrading you can uninstall the newer version then reinstall the older version and restore your VM if need be... but just in case... backup your VM before doing anything! Smiley Wink

vmware3usr
Contributor
Contributor

Good Advice

0 Kudos