VMware Communities
krikkew
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading Ubuntu in a VM?

Hi.

I just tried to do an upgrade from Ubuntu 10.4 to 10.10 in a VM under VMware Player 3.1.2 in Win7. Seemed to work, but the mouse died, couldn't move in the VM at all. For now, I reverted to 10.4. Suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

You will likely need to wait, until VMware introduces support for 10.10 in its products. For right now, it is probably a matter of sticking with 10.04 or dealing with some issues on 10.10. The Ubuntu forums might also be of help.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Krikkew,

I just installed a fresh VM with Ubuntu 10.10 in Player 3.1.2 on Windows XP. It works fine. If you did an upgrade, maybe you can try to reinstall VMware tools.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
krikkew
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I'll try the VMware Tools update after upgrading to 10.10, even if I've already done that before the upgrade.

But generally upgrading the Ubuntu appliance to a newer version is supposed to work?

krikke

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

As Brian wrote, as long as 10.10 was not fully tested by VMware and officially announced as Supported, it's hard to say if it works or not.

Be patient, or test it by yourself. Smiley Wink

Franck

0 Kudos
stu42j
Contributor
Contributor

I deleted the file /usr/lib/xorg/modules/vmmouse_drv.so and that fixed the mouse problem for me.

0 Kudos