VMware Communities
wwwccc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade from VM Workstation Player 5 to 15.5

Hi all,

I have a couple of Windows 7 Pro guest machines installed with VM Player 5.0.2 in  in Windows 8.1 host many years ago, I am planing to upgrade to VM workstation player the latest version 15.5 in Windows 10 Home Host.  My questions are,

1. Can I simply copy old Windows 7 guest machines (VM Player 5 in Win 8.1) over to the new environment (VM Player 15.5 in Win 10) and start the guest machine without any issue?

2. Do I need to change any configurations in the old guest machine to meet any requirements or optimize its performance?

I am looking for a hassle free and seamless upgrade.

Thanks for you time and input.

James   

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi James,

Yes, you can simply copy the VMs over.

We aim to maintain VM compatibility across product versions to the highest degree possible.  We don't always get that compatibility 100% right, but we would generally expect that a Windows guest with a reasonably "normal" configuration, migrating from Player 5 (from 2012) to the latest Workstation Player 15.5, should not encounter any specific issues.  The VM's file formats are all compatible across that range of versions.

Regarding optimizing the VMs for the migration:

If your new host has a different CPU or GPU model, there is some risk in moving a suspended virtual machine (which is effectively "still running") from one host to another.  Again, we try to keep that compatibility as close to 100% as we can, but sometimes it is simply not possible – particularly when CPU vendors start removing features from their newer CPUs!  If your VMs are suspended, I would advise resuming the VMs on the old host (if possible) and shutting them down normally before copying it over.  If a snapshot is copied, Workstation Player might warn you about changed CPU capabilities when you try to resume the VM on the new host, and the guest OS might potentially crash if you continue anyway.

When you start using the VM on the new host, Workstation Player will probably ask whether the VM was moved or copied.  If you do not plan to power on the VMs anymore on the old host, choose "Moved", even if you actually copied them.  Choosing "Moved" will ensure that your virtual machine's network identity (MAC address) is kept unchanged; Choosing "Copied" will generate a new MAC address – which would allow the "source" and "destination" VMs to coexist on the same network without interfering with each other.

Be aware that you might need to re-activate the Windows guest OS if it feels that too much hardware has changed.  If there is a change of CPU, the guest OS will be able to see that.  I don't recall precisely how fussy Windows 7 is with its product activation.  Likewise for other software installed in the VM: There is a chance that applications could see that the hardware has changed and demand that you reactivate/relicense to keep using it.

Finally, keep in mind that Windows 7 is out of support, and Microsoft has made clear that they will not necessarily be supporting Windows 7 on the latest CPUs, so there might be some inherent risk in running Windows 7 on a very new host.  Be very careful about connecting a Windows 7 guest to a network, since vulnerabilities in its software might not be receiving fixes anymore.

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi James,

Yes, you can simply copy the VMs over.

We aim to maintain VM compatibility across product versions to the highest degree possible.  We don't always get that compatibility 100% right, but we would generally expect that a Windows guest with a reasonably "normal" configuration, migrating from Player 5 (from 2012) to the latest Workstation Player 15.5, should not encounter any specific issues.  The VM's file formats are all compatible across that range of versions.

Regarding optimizing the VMs for the migration:

If your new host has a different CPU or GPU model, there is some risk in moving a suspended virtual machine (which is effectively "still running") from one host to another.  Again, we try to keep that compatibility as close to 100% as we can, but sometimes it is simply not possible – particularly when CPU vendors start removing features from their newer CPUs!  If your VMs are suspended, I would advise resuming the VMs on the old host (if possible) and shutting them down normally before copying it over.  If a snapshot is copied, Workstation Player might warn you about changed CPU capabilities when you try to resume the VM on the new host, and the guest OS might potentially crash if you continue anyway.

When you start using the VM on the new host, Workstation Player will probably ask whether the VM was moved or copied.  If you do not plan to power on the VMs anymore on the old host, choose "Moved", even if you actually copied them.  Choosing "Moved" will ensure that your virtual machine's network identity (MAC address) is kept unchanged; Choosing "Copied" will generate a new MAC address – which would allow the "source" and "destination" VMs to coexist on the same network without interfering with each other.

Be aware that you might need to re-activate the Windows guest OS if it feels that too much hardware has changed.  If there is a change of CPU, the guest OS will be able to see that.  I don't recall precisely how fussy Windows 7 is with its product activation.  Likewise for other software installed in the VM: There is a chance that applications could see that the hardware has changed and demand that you reactivate/relicense to keep using it.

Finally, keep in mind that Windows 7 is out of support, and Microsoft has made clear that they will not necessarily be supporting Windows 7 on the latest CPUs, so there might be some inherent risk in running Windows 7 on a very new host.  Be very careful about connecting a Windows 7 guest to a network, since vulnerabilities in its software might not be receiving fixes anymore.

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
wwwccc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Darius,

Thanks so much for the detail, I just installed VM Player 15.5 in in Windows 10 and copied over the old VM files, everything looks fine so far except for printer configurations in VM Settings, it says something like "The virtual printing feature is globally disabled on this system..."

Overall I am happy with the migration, very good product.

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Awesome!  :smileycool:

If you are using virtual printing, you will now need to explicitly enable the feature.  Instructions are here: VMware Knowledge Base – How to configure virtual printers on Windows hosts​.  That's one thing we did change between Player 5 and Workstation Player 15.5.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
wwwccc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Darius,

Now the printer works, thanks again for your help.

My curiosity, VM workstation is Type 2 visualization, does the Player need or work with Intel - VT ( enabled in BIOS ) ?

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No worries!

All of our recent products require Intel VT (or AMD-V) enabled in the host's BIOS/EFI settings.  This is true for our type 2 "hosted" hypervisors, Workstation and Fusion, which run atop Windows, Linux or macOS, and is also true for our type 1 hypervisor, ESXi... they all require the CPU's hardware virtualization support to be enabled on the host, and will fail to power on a virtual machine if that is not the case.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos