VMware Communities
kmarsh8
Contributor
Contributor

Update 5.0.2 broke Shared Folders

I have been using vmplayer happily with Mint 14 32bit Cinnamon for a while now, but the update to 5.0.2 has broken Shared Folders (and other things). I uninstalled 5.0.2 and downloaded the latest, got a newer build number 5.0.2 build-1031769 now, same problem.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
kmarsh8
Contributor
Contributor

Got a vmware tools update today, no improvement in mounting Shared Folders.

0 Kudos
kmarsh8
Contributor
Contributor

Installing package open-vm-dkms, and letting it drag in open-vm-tools and replying yes to replace everything asked, instantly fixes the situation.

These commands now work:

modinfo vmhgfs

mount -t vmhgfs .host:/SharedVM /mnt/hgfs/SharedVM/ #(Previously gave Error: cannot mount filesystem: No such device).

I got the idea from: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/open-vm-tools/+bug/376639

To me, this means the most recent version of vmware tools is broken, at  least in regards to Mint 14 32 bit with kernel 3.5.0-17-generic .

Now, if we could only fix Cinnamon for the same system...

-K

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

kmarsh8 wrote: To me, this means the most recent version of vmware tools is broken, at  least in regards to Mint 14 32 bit with kernel 3.5.0-17-generic .

Even thought it's a derivative of Ubuntu nonetheless Linux Mint is not an officially supported Host OS or Guest OS, so technically VMware Tools are not broken in this regard! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos