VMware Communities
lovetide
Contributor
Contributor

Unnecessary vertical scroll bar if host screen height is large enough

Enhancement bug report

Description

When the width of screen resolution of guest OS is larger than host, but height of screen resolution of guest OS is smaller than host, VMware Player will display horizontal scroll bar (of course), but also display the vertical scroll bar which is unnecessary. See the screenshot below (size=1280x853, GUI client area size=1258x752).

2013-04-08 10_44_24的屏幕截图 edited.png
If you can't see the screenshot (well, i can't), browse the following link:
27639_27639.png

So each time I started VM, I need manually drag the bottom border of VMware Player to let the VM been displayed in full height. It's a little bit annoying.

Environments

Host OS
Fedora 18 x86_64
Guest OS
Fedora 18, Windows XP
Host OS Screen Resolution
1280x1024
Guest OS Screen Resolution
1360x768
linux newbie, vmware fan, 囧rz..
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

没有截图

0 Kudos
lovetide
Contributor
Contributor

Screenshot is here 截图在此:
27639_27639.png

I don't know why it does not displayed, maybe permission problem?

0 Kudos
MarAndreas
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In the screenshot, the top of the horizontal scrollbar is at px 815

The bottom of the VM menu bar is at px 56

Therefore, the screen area available for the VM has a height of 815 - 56 = 759 px

Since 759 < 768, the vertical scrollbar is necessary.

0 Kudos
lovetide
Contributor
Contributor

In this screenshot (size=1280x853, GUI client area size=1258x752), yes, it need a vertical scroll bar. BUT the host OS has a 1024 pixel screen height, it's enough to automatically show full height (768px) of guest OS.

I guess when screen width of guest OS is greater than screen width of host OS, the horizontal scroll bar will shows up, but it occupied the client area of VMware Player GUI, then the height of client area isn't enough to show guest OS, so the vertical scroll bar shows up. This can be improved.

I have another two screenshots:

• Screenshot2: size=1280x868, GUI client area size=1258x767
  • Screenshot3: size=1280x869, GUI client area size=1274x768

Screenshot3 vs Screenshot2: Expand only +1px height, vertical bar is gone, and width of GUI client area is increased by +16px.

0 Kudos
lovetide
Contributor
Contributor

I guess when screen width of guest OS is greater than screen width of  host OS, the horizontal scroll bar will shows up, but it occupied the  client area of VMware Player GUI, then the height of client area isn't  enough to show guest OS, so the vertical scroll bar shows up. This can  be improved.

I guest my guess is not wrong, the scroll bar take 16 pixel from GUI client area, see the screenshot below.

2013-04-11 15_42_59的屏幕截图.png

27710_27710.png

That's why height_of_screenshot3 - height_of_screenshot1 = 869 - 853 = 16.

Hope this can be improved, horizontal scroll bar should not occupy GUI client area if screen height is large enough, it will make vertical scroll bar displayed which is not necessary (i mean, we have enough screen height to display full height of guest OS)

0 Kudos
AlencarWell
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, solution this problem? Please !  My OS is Debian 11...

0 Kudos