VMware Communities
Agama
Contributor
Contributor

Unknown devices using p2v Windows XP x64 guest

I converted my old Windows XP Professional x64 installation from a physical to a virtual machine, and it boots up just fine in VMware Player 4.0.1.  The vm is a Workstation 8.0 vm, and I can access all the local files just fine.  However, shortly after Windows has brought me to the main screen, a dozen or so Found New Hardware Wizard prompts pop up, and it can't seem to find the proper drivers for the virtual devices.

From what I've seen in the few other similar issues I've found here, it's often because the person specified the wrong version of Windows (e.g., 64-bit instead of 32-bit), though I do seem to have the correct option set.  Does anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong?  I can't get any network connectivity in the guest, nor does a disc drive appear, even though I have both specified in the vm's settings.

I've attached my .vmx file here, in case it helps.  Thanks a lot for any advice!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Did you install the VMware Tools in the Windows XP VM yet?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have you installed VMware Tools yet?  This will rectify the new hardware found.

0 Kudos
Agama
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome vmroyale!

No, I haven't installed the VMware Tools, because the virtual disc won't show up in order to install them.  The CD/DVD drive is one of the devices that isn't being recognized.  When I select the Install VMware Tools option from the Virtual Machine drop-down menu, I get the usual warning at the bottom of the VMware Player that states, "If you do not see VMware Tools installing, click Start > Run in your virtual machine and enter D:\setup.exe (where 😧 is your virtual CD-ROM drive)."  I have no 😧 drive in my vm, even though the vm's settings show that a CD/DVD drive should be connected at power on.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

You might be able to use the instructions in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2010145 to remove the unused (grayed out) hardware. This might get you the cd-rom drive in the process.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Agama
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm, I followed the instructions on that page, but I don't see any devices that are grayed out in Device Manager.  If I show the hidden devices, there are quite a few listed under Non-Plug and Play Drivers - they have a gray diamond icon next to them, but their names aren't grayed out at all - are these the ones I should try removing?  The only obvious devices that aren't quite right are all the ones listed under Other Devices with the yellow question mark icon.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Interesting. Did you enter the following two commands sequentially both from the same cmd prompt?

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
devmgmt.msc

With any P2V, there should be plenty of ghosted devices.

0 Kudos
Agama
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, I did that.  I also uninstalled a bunch of old drivers after doing the p2v conversion.  I did make a little bit of progress since yesterday, however.  Looking at the CD/DVD settings, I noticed that it had picked, by default, SCSI.  Changing it to IDE got that virtual device working, at least, which then allowed me to install the VMware Tools.  However, that didn't seem to change that I have a bunch of unknown devices, which I'm assuming are all the virtualized devices.

At this point, is there any harm in me uninstalling a bunch of devices in the device manager, figuring that those that are needed will get reinstalled after the next reboot?  I'm not sure what else to do at this point.  A few of the entries under the "Non-Plug and Play" driver section include things like:

• AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x) v3.7.5.0
  • Message-oriented TCP/IP and TCP/IPv6 Protocol (SMB session)
  • NetBios over Tcpip

(This is only a small selection).

Again, any suggestions are welcome!  Thanks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

At this point, is there any harm in me uninstalling a bunch of devices in the device manager, figuring that those that are needed will get reinstalled after the next reboot?

At this point that is probably what I'd do if it wasn't clear what the devices were in order to point to the drivers.

0 Kudos
Agama
Contributor
Contributor

Well, unfortunately, I'm still having troubles trying to get any of the devices recognizes in the VM.  The only reason I wanted to hang onto that system is because I have a Pinnacle Dazzle DVC100 video capture USB device, and it's Windows 7 driver is pretty lousy (the audio doesn't work properly).  On top of that, the little piece of hardward came with a copy of Pinnacle Studio 12, which you can use to record and edit your video.  The software itself isn't terribly great since it's a number of years old now, but I can't find the install disc anymore, so the p2v VM is the only way I can use that program now, should I ever need it.

Ultimately, however, I came to realize that I was spending way too much time on this, and decided to build a new VM from scratch.  I have an old XP 32-bit disc lying around, so I set that up, installed the XP driver for the DVC100 device, and found that I can record video via Windows Movie Maker.  It seemed to digitalize the video fine, so I can live with this instead.

Thanks you two for all the help and suggestions!

0 Kudos