VMware Communities
Crusader2011101
Contributor
Contributor

Unknown Internal Failure: java.io.IOException: unable to connect to remote host

Greetings all,

This may be some thing simple I am missing but I can not put a file to an ftp device from a Windows XP virtual machine hosted on a Windows 7 32 bit PC with it's firewall turned on. I can perform the command from the host and it works fine, but from the XP virtual I ge the error listed in the title "Unknown Internal Failure: java.io.IOException: unable to connect to remote host" . if i turn off the Host's firewall then it works, but i would like to keep the firewall turned on if possible. after the "put" command I get...

200 Command successful.

550 Unknown Internal Failure: java.io.IOException: unable to connect to remote host

ftp>_

and the connection is then closed ?

must be something I am missing?

any ideas?

Regards,

Neil

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Villag3Idiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FTP requires a couple of ports open to work correctly.

A good explanation is found in this article...

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

Sounds as though one of the FTP ports is getting blocked. Are you running any type of firewall in the guest VM? Are you running this VM via VMware Player or Workstation or similar?

0 Kudos
Crusader2011101
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I just checked the VM yes it does have a firewall on, but the same VM works fine on a Windows XP host for the ftp commands.

I can try adding more rules for the ports on the VM and see. the VM was created on Workstaion but being run on Player..

Extra rules on both VM and Host did not work.

But, I tried Filezilla FTP client on the VM and it worked as such, I could transfer a file to the FTP device.

Regards,

Neil

0 Kudos