VMware Communities
gino12
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install windows 98 in Workstation 12 Player....

My system;

Intel Core i7 6700k cpu

Asus Hero 8 M/board

SanDisk 960GB SSD  C:(primary)

HDD 3TB  E:(storage)

32GB ram

O/S Win 7 Pro

message;

"PXE-E53: No boot filename received.

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

Operating system not found"

I have the original Windows 98 cd disk pack with product keys. After receiving the above message with the disks I downloaded an ISO image file of Windows 98 and still get the same message when trying to create a virtual machine.  I have searched the forums and found someone had the same message trying to install Windows 98 on an earlier version of workstation.  But the reply they received was to use the original floopy disks but as I have the cds I'm stuck as to why I'm having this problem. I have workstation installed on my SSD and hoped to install virtual machines  on HDD storage.  But have tried to install on SSD and still get the same message.  As this is server message should I be receiving it at all?  Can someone please assist? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The Windows 98 CD is not bootable.

0 Kudos
gino12
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. 

It's windows 98 2nd edition and they are for PCs without windows.

That may explain why Workstation 12 may not recognize the the cd but can you tell me why it won't recognize the ISO file please?

I can load a utility disk into the cd drive and the virtual machine will recognize it and I can use the tools but I'm still unable to use the ISO file or the Windows disks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I suspect that it recognizes both the CD and the ISO, but neither is bootable.  The Windows 98 CD came with a boot floppy. 

Can you boot your physical system from the CD?  If you burn the ISO to a CD, can you boot the physical system from that?

0 Kudos