VMware Communities
deltapapa
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install VMware Player 5.0.2

Hey,

i have like other people problems to install VMware Player.

My Host is a Windows 7 64 Bit with the new UEFI Bios and the i use the new gpt format at my host disks.

I use Avast 8 too.

In the past, i have no trouble to install vmware Player on exact this Host PC, but after the last format C:, i can't install the VMware Player.

I did follow:

Install with admin rights, i get follow error: The Msi [....] failed to install.

Disable Avast and install with Admin rights: The same above.

Extract the exe and install direkt the 64 Bit installer: I get an error, the VMware Activation Service can't start.

I checkt the same with 5.0.0 and 5.0.1.

After this, i read a lot off forums in the net, nothing is helpting (windows managment service, clean after install, disable Avast and a lot off more.) Admin rights are correct.

I hope i get help here 🙂

With best regards,

deltapapa

0 Kudos
6 Replies
raananb
Contributor
Contributor

I too am having a problem trying to install Player on Windows8:

pastedImage_0.png

The setuplog files are at the links below

www.pixname.com/vmsetup.20130530161152.vmwareplayer_x64.msi.install.log

www.pixname.com/vmsetup.20130530161152.log

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

First try changing your TEMP environment variable - remove the User-specific one and just use the System one (typically C:\Windows\Temp).  This will eliminate both a path too long issue, and a funky character issue.

0 Kudos
raananb
Contributor
Contributor

I changed TEMP to d:\Temp

Curiously, logs are now on D:\Tmp

pastedImage_0.png

New tentative to install, would not finish - not enough admin rights (even though I am the logged user and defined as Admin)

Copied the full downloaded package to desktop and launched with right-click as Admin

Now msi install fails.

pastedImage_1.png

tried to run in compatibility mode (XP SP3), same result.

Logs are at

www.pixname.com/vmsetup.20130531081155.vmwareplayer_x64.msi.install.log

www.pixname.com/www.pixname.com/vmsetup.20130531081155.log

www.pixname.com/www.pixname.com/vminst.log

(older logs removed)

I tried with Secure boot (UEFI) disabled, and then with secure boot disabled and CSM enabled, and in both cases failed, with the following panel:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Ulli has a helpful page - written for Workstation 7 / Player 3 - but still valid for recent versions.  http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?solution_id=1113

0 Kudos
raananb
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for trying to help, but altogether I dont think users should have to fight to get an application to install. I wrote to VMWare, and will let you know their answer, if any.

0 Kudos
TrapThem
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue when trying to install Workstation 9.  I had to completely uninstall Avast in order to get the installation to complete without errors.

0 Kudos