VMware Communities
EwenB
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to connect to Internet using a Mobile Broadband dongle

I am using Linux Mint 14 as a VMware guest on my Windows 7 installation.  My broadband connection is managed by a Sierra Wireless Aircard 320U and up to now has been perfectly successful.  In fact I have updated the system, updated VMware Tools and installed Midnight commander all successfully.

Last week I thought I might try VirtualBox and Ubuntu 13.04.  The Ubuntu system installed but would not connect and the fault was diagnosed on their forum to be the fact that "Virtualisation" was disabled in the BIOS.  I enabled it and everything went smoothly however VirtualBox proved to be a more difficult system to manage than VMware so I uninstalled it and deleted Ubuntu.

This morning I booted my trusty Mint 14 (on VMware) and attempted to go online and I was presented with the message in the message log "Could not connect Ethernet to Virtual Network "VMnet8".  I suspected that the BIOS setting might be the fault and I restored it to its disabled state but regardless of this adjustment in the BIOS I still cannot connect.  What could possibly have gone wrong?

Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

Regards.

0 Kudos
0 Replies