VMware Communities
Malleeboy
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to connect VMware 16 to internet.

Hi .... sorry if this is a convoluted enquiry but here goes! I have been using VMware Player ver. 12 for many years quite successfully on a Windows 7 computer. That particular computer is playing up (software issues I believe) but before wiping it clean to upgrade to Windows 10 I want to make sure that everything works on an alternative computer I have. It has Windows 10 installed and running well through the same modem, etc as the original computer. I have installed VMware ver 16 and added XP as in the original computer but for the life of me, I can't access the internet. The computer has a Netgear WG111v2 wireless adapter installed and that is working fine in the Windows 10 environment but everything I have tried using your trouble shooters etc has given me no joy. However, I must admit that my knowledge of the technical aspects is somewhat outdated! Thanks, Keva, Australia

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao

the first thing to check is if the Windows XP VM is able to communicate with windows 10. So you should ping the Windows XP VM towards the IP of the windows 10 PC hosting the VM and check the result.

Then how is the network card associated with the windows XP VM configured within VMware Workstation 16.

You should have the following choices:

fabio1975_0-1655364141720.png

normally if you use Bridged or NAT you should be able to access the internet.

If you have selected Bridged or NAT and it does not work we must verify that the VirtualNet is using the correct network card of your windows 10 PC (i.e. the one that accesses the internet).

To do this we must use the Virtual Network Editor which if you are using the free version is not installed by default to use it you must follow this guide https://www.serverwatch.com/guides/how-to-fix-a-vmware-player-bridged-network/ do the tests indicated above and let me know the result and eventually check which network card is used in the Bridged configuration

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
Malleeboy
Contributor
Contributor

Fabio, thanks for the advice. My immediate problem .... pardon my ignorance ... is how do I ping the Windows XP VM towards the Windows 10 IP please?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

"VMware 16" = VMware Workstation Player v16

There is an area of the communities for threads about this product, I've reported your thread so a moderator can move it there, rather than it hanging around in the {code} area which is for SDKs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

You need:

- Find Windows 10 IP address, for do it open a command line (command prompt o PowerShell) and type ipconfig, from the output you need to find the IP address associated with the network adapter used from windows 10 to communicate with the internet.

(Similar to this:)

fabio1975_0-1655377714979.png

- connect to Windows 7 VM from VMware Workstation  Player 16 console. 

- open a command line (command prompt)

- and start a ping command:

ping <ip address of windows 10>

can you post the output of the ping command?

Post also the virtual network configuration of windows 7 VM.

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos