VMware Communities
abcdefz
Contributor
Contributor

Uh oh, does VMWare Player NOT support raw disks?

I could install what would be a second installation of Win XP HE, but I'd rather not...it's a space issue, and partitioning, too...I can't seem to find the answer to whether or not VMWare Player, version 3.1.0 build-261024 will support what I used to do YEARS ago with Workstation, where I used 'raw disk' to access the first drive/first partition Windows installation...

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes generally speaking you can use raw disks with VMware Player however depending on your Host OS you may have some issues.

0 Kudos
abcdefz
Contributor
Contributor

The Player would be installed in (from 'uname -a'):

Linux 2.6.32.14-127.fc12.i686.PAE #1 SMP Fri May 28 04:47:04 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux,

the OS for the guest would be Win XP HE on drive 1 partition 1

I have a somuch_better_ system these days, I can't wait to see how it works out. I was the first guy on my block to go VM'ing...everyone else was fascinated ... But that was like 10 years ago...

I feel bad because I haven't located the docs for setting it up. The last time I used Workstation was quite awhile ago, but I seem to recall that the config issues were easier to find in the setup or install pages...can you point me in a direction? Thanx...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It's right in front of you. Smiley Wink

VM > Settings

Virtual Machine Settings dialog box

Hardware tab

Add... button

Add Hardware Wizard

Hard Drive

Next > button

Select a Disk

Use a physical disk (for advanced users)

Next > button

Select a Physical Disk

etc., etc.

0 Kudos
abcdefz
Contributor
Contributor

First, you have to create the VM, where I select install os later. Then I go back, and try to add disk, but I don't have permission to write the file...I'm stuck in a catch 22 where I have to create the VM to GET to the hardware wizard, but then I can't add the disk 'cause of perms problems...but this is where I start to learn the ins and outs, like, do I have to CLOSE the VM before I can add the raw disk info...Acck!! It's fun, and I'm trying to learn by 'breaking' stuff, but if you see I'm missing something obvious, chime in...I love this stuff....

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

On Linux you may have to be root to use rawdisks - or maybe it is enough to add your account to the disks group

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

0 Kudos
abcdefz
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I'm noodling around with this thing, and I have two problems.

One is the first error message, with a knowledge base article that I

can find, (here's the vmplayer output):

If you are dual

booting a native Windows installation, it is possible that problems

will occur while trying to boot your system in VMware Player. For more

information, please visit our Web site at

"http://vmware.com/info?id=128".

Select OK to continue, Cancel to power off.

I got to the listed error page: "http://vmware.com/info?id=128"

But the next one, (again, here's the vmplayer output):

Your guest operating system is Windows XP and you have one or more virtual SCSI devices installed in your virtual machine.

Please

be aware that Windows XP does not support the BusLogic SCSI adapter

that VMware Player currently uses for its virtual SCSI devices. If you

have not done so already, you will need to install our driver in the

virtual machine. You can download the driver from our Web site at

"http://vmware.com/info?id=43".

Click OK to continue or Cancel to abort.

Points to a page I can't get to: "http://vmware.com/info?id=43"

The

system appears to be trying to boot from network...maybe not

recognizing the drive/raw disk stuff that the first KB article

refers to...so I'm looking into the "Hardware Profile" solution listed

on the first errors KB article. I vaguely remember doing something

with hardware profiles tenyears_ago_ so I'm hopeful yet. But I

figured I'd continue to write to this discussion with the idea that

either of you two folks want to chime in with feedback, or simply to continue this discussion such that it might be of further use to another 'newer version'-'old' VMWare user...Acck!

Still clicking away!

0 Kudos
abcdefz
Contributor
Contributor

Well, ten years ago, I had a much smaller computer, and a much earlier version of VMWare Workstation. It was also a much better experience. This stuff makes no sense. Why the heck am I trying to use virtual SCSI drives? What's with the blue screen of death? Is Windows XP that much harder to virtualize than 98 Second Edition? Why do I have to delete the drive that's created by default, just to have to add a drive again so the thing will work at all??? And again, what's with the SCSI drives...they're still a rarity in the world of Linux PCs...if I could only try this on another Win98 SE machine...I certainly don't want to run Linux -inside- of Windows...and I don't have the drive space to install a second copy of WinXPHE just to play with virtualization tech...Oh well...

0 Kudos