VMware Communities
bjeffjp
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu host is capturing keyboard shortcuts on Windows guest

I have a VMPlayer running on a Ubuntu TLS 22.04 host with Windows 10 as a guest. After upgrading my Ubuntu from 20.04 to 22.04, all the useful shortcuts as alt+tab, win+e, and win+d, pressed on the Windows guest are captured by Ubuntu. For example, when I press super on Windows, the Unity is called showing ubuntu programs, and when I press alt+tab, I can only switch among ubuntu programs. Can you help me with this problem?

4 Replies
dmutende
Contributor
Contributor

I am also facing the same challenge. I am running VMware Workstation 16 Pro on Ubuntu 22.04.1 host with Windows 11 22H2 guest. Kindly, anyone with a solution to this?

0 Kudos
fraviofii
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same problem.

My host machine is Ubuntu 22.04. My VMWare version is 16

My guest machine is Ubuntu 18.04.

0 Kudos
fraviofii
Contributor
Contributor

I found the solution of this issue.

The reason is that Wayland is not working correctly with VMWare Workstation. I can't say if it is an issue with VMWare Workstation.

This link also reports the problem:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1432072/vmware-workstation-16-2-4-pro-some-keys-are-not-sent-to-the-...

And this is how I solved:

https://onlinux.systems/guides/20220520_how-to-disable-wayland-on-ubuntu-2204

0 Kudos
serdev
Contributor
Contributor

I spent some time investigating, and would think it is VMware 17.0.2 on the host side not doing the right talking with the Wayland in Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS.

All other apps are running fine, except VMware not letting through those important key combinations.

It should also be noted, switching to X11 / Xorg is not a real fix.

This looks like something VMware should fix.  How to get started:  Just try using a guest desktop OS in VMware 17.0.2 on an Ubuntu 22.04.2. LTS host.  Try using the Windows / super key in the guest desktop OS.  That and many key combinations won't work right.

Please fix this.