VMware Communities
hanbe325
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu VMware tools, Copy and Paste

Hi, I have installed vmware tools in a ubuntu guest "successfully". I think it worked but I'm not 100% sure, how can I tell? I'm using ubuntu server 7.04. I need to know how to configure it to allow copy and paste between host and guest. It still traps the mouse pointer in guest.

Not really sure does vmware tools on linux have a graphical interface or does every thing have to be done through the command line.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MPM01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

you can install VMware tools in Linux Guest OS by following method.

1. Power on the virtual machine.

2. After guest operating system has started, prepare your virtual machine to install

VMware Tools.

From Virtual Machine Menu à Select Install VMware Tools.

3. As root (su -), mount VMware Tools virtual CD-ROM image in Guest OS, change

to a working directory (for example, /tmp), uncompress the installer, then unmount the CD-ROM image.

Note: Some Linux distributions automatically mount CD-ROMs. If your distribution uses automounting, do not use the mount and umount commands below. You still must untar the VMware Tools installer to /tmp.

Some Linux distributions use different device names or organize the /dev directory differently. If your CD-ROM drive is not /dev/cdrom or if the mount point for a CD-ROM is not /mnt/cdrom, you must modify the following commands to reflect the conventions used by your distribution.

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

cd /tmp

Note: If you have a previous installation, delete previous vmware-distrib directory before installing. The default location of this directory is

/tmp/vmware-tools-distrib.

4. Untar VMware Tools tar file:

tar zxpf /mnt/cdrom/VMwareTools-1.x-<xxxx>.tar.gz

umount /dev/cdrom

Replace <xxxx> with build/revision number of VMware Fusion

Note: If you attempt to install a tar installation over an rpm installation - or vice versa - the installer detects previous installation and must convert the installer database format before continuing.

5. Run VMware Tools tar installer:

cd vmware-tools-distrib

./vmware-install.pl

Respond to the configuration questions on the screen. Press Enter to accept the

default value.

6. Log off from root account.

exit

7. Start X and your graphical environment.

8. In an X terminal, launch VMware Tools background application.

vmware-toolbox &

Note: You may run VMware Tools bylogging in either to root or as a normal user. To shrink virtual disks, you must run VMware Tools as root (su -).

Uninstalling VMware Tools

To remove VMware Tools from your Linux guest operating system, log on as root (su -) and enter the following command:

 From a tar install

vmware-uninstall-tools.pl

 From an RPM install

rpm -e VMwareTools

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MPM01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

you can install VMware tools in Linux Guest OS by following method.

1. Power on the virtual machine.

2. After guest operating system has started, prepare your virtual machine to install

VMware Tools.

From Virtual Machine Menu à Select Install VMware Tools.

3. As root (su -), mount VMware Tools virtual CD-ROM image in Guest OS, change

to a working directory (for example, /tmp), uncompress the installer, then unmount the CD-ROM image.

Note: Some Linux distributions automatically mount CD-ROMs. If your distribution uses automounting, do not use the mount and umount commands below. You still must untar the VMware Tools installer to /tmp.

Some Linux distributions use different device names or organize the /dev directory differently. If your CD-ROM drive is not /dev/cdrom or if the mount point for a CD-ROM is not /mnt/cdrom, you must modify the following commands to reflect the conventions used by your distribution.

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

cd /tmp

Note: If you have a previous installation, delete previous vmware-distrib directory before installing. The default location of this directory is

/tmp/vmware-tools-distrib.

4. Untar VMware Tools tar file:

tar zxpf /mnt/cdrom/VMwareTools-1.x-<xxxx>.tar.gz

umount /dev/cdrom

Replace <xxxx> with build/revision number of VMware Fusion

Note: If you attempt to install a tar installation over an rpm installation - or vice versa - the installer detects previous installation and must convert the installer database format before continuing.

5. Run VMware Tools tar installer:

cd vmware-tools-distrib

./vmware-install.pl

Respond to the configuration questions on the screen. Press Enter to accept the

default value.

6. Log off from root account.

exit

7. Start X and your graphical environment.

8. In an X terminal, launch VMware Tools background application.

vmware-toolbox &

Note: You may run VMware Tools bylogging in either to root or as a normal user. To shrink virtual disks, you must run VMware Tools as root (su -).

Uninstalling VMware Tools

To remove VMware Tools from your Linux guest operating system, log on as root (su -) and enter the following command:

 From a tar install

vmware-uninstall-tools.pl

 From an RPM install

rpm -e VMwareTools

0 Kudos
hanbe325
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all I needed to do was run vmware-toolbox & in Xtem and it started working.

0 Kudos
hanbe325
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Just noticed that my abillity to copy/paste from host to guest stops as soon as I close the vmware-tools window. Whats the best way to make vmware-tools run in the background when ever the machine is started. Sorry I'm not that familuar with ubuntu.

Thanks

0 Kudos