VMware Communities
Baz33k
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 8.10 How To Compile vmware-player??

Hy!

I have trayed to compile it but i had an error! :

-

from /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:12:

include/asm/page.h:22:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

In file included from /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/vmhost.h:13,

from /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:115:

/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_semaphore.h:5:27: error: asm/semaphore.h: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

make[2]: *** Erreur 1

make[1]: *** module/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only Erreur 2

make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic »

make: *** Erreur 2

make: quittant le répertoire « /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only »

Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please

visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and

"http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

Execution aborted.

-

I see on others forum that we can't compile it for the moment!

Do you have a solution ?

Bye

0 Kudos
6 Replies
shifteleven
Contributor
Contributor

I too am getting this error.

I just want t o add that so this topic gets more notice.

Cheers

0 Kudos
VinitAdhopia
Contributor
Contributor

This is really an urgent issue. If anyone has been able to get vmware-player compiling with Ubuntu 8.10, please post your solution.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
spatialdrift
Contributor
Contributor

I too struggled with this for WAY too long. Finally, I found the solution here:

http://www.luisrocha.net/2008/10/installing-vmware-player-in-ubuntu.html

At first I didn't think it would work, but it did. I kept trying to run the bundle with Bash Dot operator. No thanks to VMWare for the abysmal documentation. Wait... there was NO documentation. Incredible that they would go through the effort of building this new installer and then not tell anybody how to use it.

Good luck all!

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

No thanks to VMWare for the abysmal documentation. Wait... there was NO documentation.

Funny, I find the Player documentation here, just where it has always been.

Incredible that they would go through the effort of building this new installer and then not tell anybody how to use it.

Player Getting Started Guide, Pages 10-11: "Installing VMware Player"

0 Kudos
spatialdrift
Contributor
Contributor

Nice. So the knowledgeable support person responds, but only when a criticism needs checking. Very nice. Do you work for VMWare? I hope not, but that would explain the things I read. Would also shed light on this whole thread. But I'll admit, my words were inaccurate. The bundle had no support directly associated with it. Nothing but sparse release notes on the download page. Obviously, you believe that the location of the information is common knowledge. And judging by the smarmy response, I look quite the ignoramus for voicing my ignorance. I, like most people, go to Google when faced with a search, rather than trolling through websites looking for a needle in a haystack. Obviously enough people could not find this information because I found plenty of posts asking the same question, but no answers until somebody else posted it the day before I did. Forgive me for reflecting your attitude when I say, "Thank you, you've been SOOOO helpful."

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

First off, no, I do not work for VMware. All employees have the VMware logo next to their username. I am just an end user like yourself.

I don't think the documents are "out of the way" or need to "troll through the website looking for a needle in a haystack". The first link I gave you comes right from the Player download page (or from this very forum) -- "Documentation". In this forum, it is under "Technical Resources" in the right-hand side. You obviously found the download page if you downloaded the installation package; and you obviously found this forum if you wrote a post... therefore, I can assume you can read the page and see the link for Documentation. On that page, click the link for "Player", the product you are looking for documentation for. Then, on that page of Player documents, there are 3 links for the current version. The release notes, the Guest OS Installation Guide, and the Getting Started (with Player) Guide. The installation instructions are, as I posted in the 2nd link in my reply, in the first section of that Getting Started Guide.

As far as WHEN I posted here to this thread, I responded to YOUR claims that the information was difficult to locate. I only run Windows hosts, so I could not post any comments/responses on the original question of how to compile vmware-player on a specific Linux host. Sorry if this appeared to you that I have an "attitude". I was merely pointing out WHERE the information resides, in a VERY LOGICAL location. First thing I tend to do if I can't figure something out is to read the user manual/documentation that came with something!

0 Kudos