VMware Communities
Pnut12
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 22.04 Display Settings Not Saved

I'm using Workstation 17.5, and each time I start Ubuntu 22.04, the resolution is 800x600, and have to re-set the resolution to more desirable levels.  Is anyone else having this problem and if so, how have you resolved it?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

If you are referring to the 800x600 BEFORE login to the desktop, I think that this a limitation. I think the highest it can go is 1024x768 but that involves changing GRUB settings.

If you are referring to AFTER login to the desktop and the desktop shows 800x600, make sure that
(1) open vmware tools are installed
(2) resolution is set to one of the default that is higher resolution

I find custom resolution does not get saved. So this is likely a guest OS issue rather than a VMware issue. What I do is I set it to one of the standard higher resolution (2880x1800) available.

I set a custom resolution manually from Terminal using vmwgfxctrl (which requires sudo), for example

sudo vmwgfxctrl --set-topology 3072x1920+0+0

vmwgfxctrl works for both X11 and Wayland (as opposed to xrandr working only for X11). For performance reasons, I think it is better to stick to X11.

0 Kudos
Pnut12
Contributor
Contributor

Just getting around to this now.  I honestly don't think VMWare tools are installed.  But they are supposed to be automatically installed when you update your version of VMWare.  Actually never had this problem until I updated to 22.04.  Will dig in a little further on this.  Thank you for the reply.

0 Kudos