VMware Communities
ShadeAnalyzer
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 13.04 guest - launcher disappears forever?

Guest: Ubuntu 13.04, up-to-date software

VMware Player 5.0.2. build-1031769

Host Microsoft Windows 7

I normally configure Ubuntu to auto-hide the launcher (System settings -> Apeparance -> Behavior -> Auto-hide the Launcher).

When I do this under VMware Player, the launcher disappears "forever", that is:

* Normally if the screen is empty (no other windows), the launcher appears anyway, but under VMware Player, it does not.

* Normally I can make the launcher "reveal" by moving the mouse to the left side of the screen, but under VMware Player, it does not.

I can manually reveal the launcher by pressing the keyboard's Microsoft Windows key or by clicking on the "gear" in the upper right and using System settings (as above) to stop doing auto-hide.

How do I configure things so auto-hide works?  I do not care if this is a VMware or Ubuntu configuration.

I am using a tall narrow monitor, and leaving the launcher always visible steals enough horizontal real estate I can no longer do some things side-by-side, so "always visible" is a bad workaround.  I use a left-side mouse and the Microsoft Windows key is on the left on my keyboard, so using that is a cumbersome/slow workaround.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies