VMware Communities
Crzyjoker
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to play a game on host and VM at the same time

Hello everyone.

I am testing a game mod and i'm currently using Vmware workstation to run this game on two systems at the same time. The game has a multiplayer function and thus I am able to play "online" on the same machine, but I am not familiar to how VM works and i'm encountering these specific issues:

1: I don't know how to configure my xbox controller (one player plays on keyboard and the other on the controller) to only work for VM. Alternatively, making it work only on the host is also fine. If this isn't adressed, my next problem won't be adressed either:

2: If I click on the game running on the host, the controls automatically stop working on the VM and vice versa, since I highlighted a different program. I don't know if I explained it well, but it's like trying to write on two programs and the same time: You'll only be able to write on a highlighted program at a time. Is there a function that lets me bypass this?

That's it. I thank anyone who might be able to help, even if you know the slightest about this technology it helps a lot since I've been reading about it the whole morning but I haven't been able to bypass these two issues. I hope I'm in the right thread, the right forums for this. Thank you for your patience.

In case this is of any relevance: The game is called terraria, it does not come with split-screen multiplayer, that's why i'm using VM for it.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Crzyjoker
Contributor
Contributor

Well, Update:

It's currently working, Terraria is running on both machines and the first machine plays with an xbox 360 controller while the second does with keyboard. No conflicts at all.

The problem is, multiplayer is insanely laggy only for the virtual cpu. I researched a bit and found out that Vmware does not utilize your GPU. There are ways to do that, but as english is not my native language i'm having trouble figuring out, as tutorials online about this specific subject are very complicated.

What program should I use for this? My GPU is Nvidia Geforce 770. I read somewhere I should use VMware vSphere vSGA. But it does not seem to have compatibility with my GPU (VMware Compatibility Guide - vsga).

0 Kudos