VMware Communities
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Trouble Installing Windows 10 Virtual Drive

I am able to install VMware Workstation 15 (non commercial use) with no problem but then cannot get Win 10 to install.  I have a USB drive with several files on it but then I added Windows.iso to that USB drive.  I have tried installing Win 10 concurrent with creating the virtual drive and also tried installing after virtual drive was created but it just seems that the install process never really starts.  I previously had the virtual drive along with Win 10 installed on this same PC but then I reset the PC so everything was erased.

Don't know if it is normal but when I tell VMware to use Windows.iso it says it cannot determine the OS so I need to tell it Win 10 64 bit

Please help me with some suggestions.

0 Kudos
34 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

And you are certain that the ISO file is valid?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I deleted the Windows.iso file and recreated it from the media creation tool but got exactly the same problem.  The media creation tool was recently upgraded from version 1909 to 2004.  Do you know that the 2004 version works with VMware?

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

Your version of VMware Workstation Player 15 is compatible up to the Windows 10 (1809) version. This is why you cannot install the image created by the Microsoft tool (2004)

I have a licensed Workstation Pro 15.5 version, and I can do it because it is compatible with 2004

VMware Workstation Player vs VMware Workstation Pro - vembu.com

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can't afford to pay for an upgrade to the pro version.  Do you have any suggestions for me.  Do you know how I can get a Windows.iso for version 1809?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Workstation 15.5.5 and later support Windows 10 2004.

This article may help you get a genuine ISO: https://pureinfotech.com/windows-10-1809-iso-download/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all of your help, both Scott and Alessandro.

I have resolved the issue.  I found a backup copy of my previous installation of my virtual drive with Win 10 installed.  So now I am running the VMware version 15.5.6 with Win 10 1909.  So I guess I really do not know the real reason that I could not install from scratch.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I have all the .ISOs of all versions of Windows 10 (at work). If you want, send me your e-mail and tomorrow morning I will send it with Wetransfer.

ARomeo

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the offer but I have been able to get Win 10 1909 working by using a backup of my virtual machine.  So I really am at a loss as to why I could not do a fresh install because VMware 15.5.6 obviously works with Win 1909.

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Great!

I'm glad you solved it.

ARomeo

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

BTW, if you have the old versions of Windows.iso that is fine but if you have the old versions of the Media Creation tool that would not be helpful to anyone.  The old versions of the media creation tool first upgrade themselves to the latest version before creating Windows.iso

Again, thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now that I have resolved the issue of getting Win 10 installed, have a question about size.  I currently have the size at 60 GB which is no issue for my PC space.  As I mentioned earlier, I back everything up would like to know if there is anything wrong with reducing the size of the virtual drive to some minimum size and then copying it to my backup drives and then increasing the size on the PC back up to 60 GB.  If this sounds like a reasonable approach, please tell me the minimum size you would recommend.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Honestly, to back up my virtual machines, I just power them down, then zip up the whole VM's folder, and add a date to the filename.  That way it's compressed, I know when it was taken, and it's a snap to revert to that version if I ever need to.

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, creating a zip file is a much better solution that I suggested.

0 Kudos
MTriple
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you, reinstalling VMware and choosing the WINDOWS.ISO before completing the virtual machine setup did solve it for me.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not sure what each attempt has included, but do not use an USB disk for the .iso location in the install. That is a source for many possible problems ... especially don't do this, if it does not work. Have the ISO on the Host hard disk.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos