VMware Communities
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Trouble Installing Windows 10 Virtual Drive

I am able to install VMware Workstation 15 (non commercial use) with no problem but then cannot get Win 10 to install.  I have a USB drive with several files on it but then I added Windows.iso to that USB drive.  I have tried installing Win 10 concurrent with creating the virtual drive and also tried installing after virtual drive was created but it just seems that the install process never really starts.  I previously had the virtual drive along with Win 10 installed on this same PC but then I reset the PC so everything was erased.

Don't know if it is normal but when I tell VMware to use Windows.iso it says it cannot determine the OS so I need to tell it Win 10 64 bit

Please help me with some suggestions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all of your help, both Scott and Alessandro.

I have resolved the issue.  I found a backup copy of my previous installation of my virtual drive with Win 10 installed.  So now I am running the VMware version 15.5.6 with Win 10 1909.  So I guess I really do not know the real reason that I could not install from scratch.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

View solution in original post

34 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

what version are you installing windows 10? (1909, 2004), not all versions are compatible with vmware workstation 15

For the latest versions of Windows 10, you need to install wvmware workstation15.5.6

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have Win 10 1909 on PC but I do not know what version is on the USB.  I downloaded the Win 10 tool yesterday and then used it to create the Windows.iso file.

Where can I get the workstation 15.5.6 for free since I am using it only for non commercial use?

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to install a newer version of VMware (15.5.6.163415060.  I still have issues.  I installed the virtual drive but still cannot get Win 10 to install.  Below are the screen shots that I get, would appreciate more help.

VMware 1.pngVMware 2.png

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The windows creation tool is titled MediaCreationTool2004.exe so I Assume the Windows.iso file is trying to install Win 10 2004

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

you have to start the virtual machine and then hook the USB stick, do a reboot you will see that it boots from USB:

pastedImage_0.png

the version of VMware workstation 15.5.6 also includes Windows 10 2004

ARomeo

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

I did exactly these steps:

• I downloaded the "MediaCreationTool2004.exe" tool:

pastedImage_1.png

• I have created the USB flash drive with the image of Windows 10:

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_6.png

• I turned on the virtual machine and hooked up the USB drive for the virtual machine:

pastedImage_0.png

• I restarted the virtual machine and selected F10 to select the boot drive:

pastedImage_8.png

• The virtual machine was rebooted and booted from a USB stick ... Windows 10 started the installation:

pastedImage_10.png

My version of VMware Workstation is:

pastedImage_11.png

If you have problems with USB, create an ISO file and mount it on the virtual cd-rom in "Settings" -> "Use ISO image file":

pastedImage_0.png

ARomeo

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to follow your directions and connected the USB to the virtual machine but after that I tried all the alternatives and nothing seemed to work.  Please advise steps after connecting USB

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

All the steps I have performed are illustrated and commented on in the previous answer.

Q:

Please advise steps after connecting USB

A:

I restarted the virtual machine and selected F10 to select the boot drive.

see previous answer.

ARomeo

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I see that you did provide me with very detailed instructions (thanks).  I double checked and my usb is connected to the virtual machine (because when I go into removable devices is shows the USB drive with a check mark but my screen does not show the option install from USB (see picture below)..

Any help would be appreciated

vmware 3.png

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

eh! I see. is your stick USB2 or USB3?

If your goal is to do a test from USB, then it deserves further studies, otherwise I suggest you create an ISO image from "fffftool", connect it to the cddr-rom of the virtual machine and install Windows 10.

It is more practical and faster.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_1.png

ARomeo

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I see that you did provide me with very detailed instructions (thanks).  I double checked and my usb is connected to the virtual machine (because when I go into removable devices is shows the USB drive with a check mark but my screen does not show the option install from USB (see picture below)..

Any help would be appreciated

vmware 3.png

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay, I went to player\power and then restart guest and then I eventually got the screen with does show "EFI USD Devise" but I am stuck from there.  I moved cursor to USB and clicked on enter but it just flickered and nothing else happened.  I tried F10 but aht did not seem to do anything.  Making progress but very slowly, sorry to be so much trouble.

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

in my computer to select the boot drive you need to press the function key F10. Maybe it's different on your computer ... F5 or F8 ... usually those are. What computer do you have?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the Workstation Player area.

Please read my notes on your duplicate thread: Trouble Installing Windows 10 Virtual Drive

I have also sent you a private message.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried every F key and nothing happened.

I did see where in VMware I could change boot order and USB shows there but no matter what I do, the boot order does not change. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Duplicate threads are archived, I left it up for a while but now it’s gone.

I see you have read my PM in any case.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If your USB drive contains an ISO file, simply mounting the USB to the VM will not do much - when you power on the VM it will look for a boot device and a drive with an ISO file on it is not a valid one.

You need your VM to boot from the ISO file - not the USB drive.

Remove the USB from the VM, but leave it plugged into the host system and accessible by the host OS. Connect the VM CD drive to the ISO file (no matter where that file lives) - make sure the CD drive is set to connect at power on. Then power on the VM.

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the additional information but I still seem to have the same problem.  My USB drive was not connected to the virtual machine and is the D drive of my system.  I have attached a screen print showing the CD  was set to D:\Windows.iso and was powered on at startup.  I restarted the guest but still I get no installation of Windows 10.  The bottom screen shot show below shows unsuccessful when I clicked on boot normally.

Would appreciate more assistance.

Time out.pngVirtual Machine setting showing CD seeting.pngscreen when clicked on boot normally after I restarted guest.png

0 Kudos