VMware Communities
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Touchscreen driver

I installed VMware Player on a Windows 7 based PC with touchscreen features and created a Windows XP guest VM.

Everything works fine except the touchscreen funcions.

In other words, if I use the "keyboard" provided by the touchscreen features of the host I can't provide input to the guest.

Have anybody faced a similar problem?

I noticed that I can attach a "touchscreen" device to the guest as a USB device, but I don't have the drivers to manage it in Windows XP.

Do such drivers exist?

Regards

Marius

0 Kudos
1 Reply
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

I installed VMware Player on a Windows 7 based PC with touchscreen features and created a Windows XP guest VM.

Everything works fine except the touchscreen funcions.

In other words, if I use the "keyboard" provided by the touchscreen features of the host I can't provide input to the guest.

Have anybody faced a similar problem?

The virtual machine is only presented with a standard keyboard and two button, single-scroll-wheell mouse. No touchscreen functions will be passed to the virtual machine.

I noticed that I can attach a "touchscreen" device to the guest as a USB device, but I don't have the drivers to manage it in Windows XP.

Do such drivers exist?

Drivers for the touchscreen would have to come from the touchscreen manufacturer.

Note that if you were to connect the USB touchscreen port to the virtual machine, all touchscreen functions go to the virtual machine, not the host. Additionally, the touchscreen drivers in the virtual machine would not realize they are in a window so the x-y axis mapping would be incorrect. Thus the only way this would be practical is when the virtual machine is in full-screen mode. (I don't think you'll have access to the bar at the top of the screen, since that's coming from the host.)