VMware Communities
Borneq
Contributor
Contributor

Too small screen to install Kubuntu

I have Windows 8.1 as main (host) system. I install VMware-player-7.1.2-2780323.exe. Inside player I try install Kubuntu.

After boot it establish very small window (insane 640x480 ?) and I can't change it, despite choosing big maximum values. Unity mode not works because "The guest operating system's resolution can not be changed". This resolution causes that some buttons ("Next") are invisible on the screen.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Make sure your virtual Hardware version is set to 10 or 11.

Enable 3D on the virtual display card.

Install VMware Tools.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Borneq
Contributor
Contributor

Where I can find this settings. This settings has only version pro?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Currently I do not have VMware Player 7.1.2 installed (replaced it yesterday by the Tech Preview ) but in a Player 6 that I have access to, the virtual hardware version is mentioned on the VM page.

As for changing that, you can change it in the .vmx with a plain text editor if your VM is shut down and VMware Player not running.

Of course that's unsupported, but it works (did that myself yesterday even)

The 3D feature can be added that way as well, but you can just change it in Player.

Shutdown the VM, select Display from the list of the virtual hardware and check the "3D" checkbox.

Installing VMware Tools can in player too, but you will have to run it by hand.

Alternatively you might be able to use the drivers that are supplied from within Ubuntu and use those (forgot the exact term, but it is like "proprietary drivers" in the control panel parts).

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Borneq
Contributor
Contributor

In Ubuntu 64-bit.vmx I have line virtualHW.version = "11"

In Display in list I have "Accelerate 3D graphics" but is tool "You must update Tools to enable 3D acceleration in this virtual machine".
But tools I probably can install until Linux was installed, similar drivers. Probably installed Linux will big screen but is small screen during installation.

0 Kudos