VMware Communities
bman2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

They killed unity mode in VMWare Player 12. Can I get the installer for Player 7

It really sucks - VMWare killed unity mode in Player 12. Had I known I would have stuck to Player 7 - it was working fine.

Anyone know if there's any way to get the installer for 7?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, we've dropped support for Unity for Linux guests only.  It's sad to see the feature go, but our feedback indicates that Linux Unity was rarely used, and it was exceedingly difficult to maintain it at a level of quality our customers expect, so we took the tough decision to remove it.

Try downloading Player 7 from here: Download VMware Player 7.x

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, we've dropped support for Unity for Linux guests only.  It's sad to see the feature go, but our feedback indicates that Linux Unity was rarely used, and it was exceedingly difficult to maintain it at a level of quality our customers expect, so we took the tough decision to remove it.

Try downloading Player 7 from here: Download VMware Player 7.x

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
bman2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Darius. I appreciate that. I've been using unity mode with Linux guests (Ubuntu 14.04).

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"Yes, we've dropped support for Unity for Linux guests only. "

I couldn't run unity in a windows guest hosted by Linux either.

"

The following features have reached end of life in Workstation 12 Pro and have been removed:

• Unity mode on Linux guest and host operating systems

"

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yep, I discovered this only after the discussion in the other thread.  I had earlier heard that we'd removed Unity for Linux guests, but it looks like we've removed it for Linux hosts too.

--

Darius

0 Kudos
BFeely
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess it's partially my fault for turning feedback off.  I use to use this feature.  I guess I'll just have to look into X forwarding.

0 Kudos