VMware Communities
Riggah
Contributor
Contributor

TPM Module in Workstation 16 (non-pro)

Hi,

So according to this page in the tab "compare" when we scroll down to "Security Features" we can see that the TPM module is available on both versions - Pro and Free.
I tried to use the module on the Workstation Player (free), but without a luck. The option is just not there. Do you think you might have more information regarding this?

Security FeaturesWorkstation PlayerWorkstation Pro

Microsoft Virtualization Based Security (Guest) Support

Virtual Trusted Platform Module (vTPM)

UEFI Boot Support

Thanks,
Riggah

4 Replies
Digimancer
Contributor
Contributor

Now that released Win 11 is out, this is a pretty big deal. 

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

It is a big deal. I don't this has been solved on this Community Forum, yet. Obviously, the product itself has those fore-mentioned limitations, which are caused by artificial limitations in Windows 11. Microsoft is also saying that you lose your computer manufacturer guarantee, if you break those limitations - I will not open that Pandora's box here (because it is besides the point of this Forum).

However, I assume that I have a technical solution for this in the end. 

First:

- I have tested quite a few ways to get Windows 11 into VMware without fulfilling any of the Microsoft limitations (like TPM, boot and processor)

- Beta releases worked without a problem, when installed from ISO with 3rd Party ISO-downloader/creator, a week ago or so. The very latest, I have not checked.

- Dev versions stopped worked a week or more ago

- Official Windows 11, English, does not work from ISO

- mind you, those were installs without fulfilling any of the Microsoft limitations for Windows 11 use

- there have been a couple of scripts, which are said to help with that. I tested one (not published here), but it didn't work, not even for TPM and it was only for Win 11 Upgrade. A more realistic approach with VMware is to install from ISO.

- on a physical computer, getting rid of TPM isn't really necessary. I mean, if you have a new enough processor, you probably have TPM as well. So, it doesn't make much sense to give a script for TPM only, on a physical computer.

Second:

- it is commented elsewhere on this Forum, if you use encryption, you will achieve TPM as well, on a Player. This functionality is not enough for normal VMware use ... probably it wasn't anticipated by VMware that using TPM on a virtual computer makes no sense, if you are NOT planning to encrypt also.

Finally:

- on VMware, you may have many other things that you need to sort out, not just TPM. i7-processors are not magically powerful only in their 8th generation and later ... they have been powerful enough for decent use for 10 years or so. Workstation and laptop performance is NOT dependent on a processor alone, especially in normal VMware use.

- here is a link to a place, which enables to turn many checks off AND it gives instructions for ISO install as well. This makes those instruction actually useful

https://www.techpowerup.com/287584/windows-11-tpm-requirement-bypass-it-in-5-minutes

This is a Community Post, not connected to VMware in any way. I have not tested this, yet. So, use it at your own risk and consideration.

I'm sure, VMware will come up with official ways, as soon as they can.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

This reg-change does seem to work. At least, it got past the installation checks of Windows 11 install, in VMware on a Host that doesn't meet any of the Windows 11 requirements. On a Windows install, it is still many hours away for finding out if everything really works. The version that I'm using is Windows 11 Pro, English, downloaded Oct-5-2021 from Microsoft Site (public content).

I couldn't immediately figure out, how to transfer those reg changes as a file and thus I manually edited the registry - on those steps instructed on the web page (it is 32-bit dword with hexa value 1 for all of the checks, as regedit shows them). If you have a good idea how to transfer the file, let us all know.

However, use at your own risk. If you are afraid that you will lose manufacturer guarantee, that Microsoft officially says will happen, on your old computer that doesn't meet Microsoft limitations, don't use this method. (sarcasm warning)

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

Yes, it did work. All the way to installing VMware Tools and opening Edge Browser. Picture is attached. Host is Kubuntu 20.04.02 with latest Updates. Hardware is i7 (2nd gen, I think) with a decent Asus motherboard and decent nVidia graphics. VMware isn't the latest, but is: 16.1.0 build-17198959, bundle from VMware Site. In VM Settings for CPU, all 3 virtualization options are checked.

0 Kudos