VMware Communities
JMc21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

System requirements to run player 16

Does anyone know how I can get a complete list of system requirements to run Workstation Player 16 please?

I recently downloaded it to my admittedly quite old PC which meets all of the stated requirements listed on the website, but would not run the software.  I raised a support ticket where I was told that in addition to the listed requirements the processor must have Intel hyper threading and Intel turbo boost capabilities.  I have asked support for a complete list of requirements twice now, but they have stopped replying.

I have done some research and found that even if I chose to upgrade my PC to a new one, I would have to buy quite a high end machine to have both of these functions.

Has anyone else had this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Normally just about any new PC would work, but some will work better than others.

If you know what PC you want to buy then there will be people down here who can help you with suggesting tweaks.

Some very general recommendations:
If the PC has an intel CPU then usually an intel i5 or intel i7 is OK. Best to have at least 4 cores and -at least- 4 threads.
For RAM you need at the very least 8GB RAM, 16GB RAM is better and more will help.
For disk system, an NVMe SSD disk would be best, Sata SSD is OK, spinning disk can work, but will be much slower (spinning disk should be 7200rpm minimum).
I'd say minimum disk size is 1TB (although less will work)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If your CPU is not older than 8 years then normally it should work.
A list of system requirements is here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Player-for-Windows/16.0/com.vmware.player.win.using.do...

There's more requirements, like having sufficient RAM, sufficient free disk space and a reasonably performant disk to store the VMs on, but without a recent CPU that is all moot.
As you don't tell us your hardware or the error you had, it is not easy for us to give a better answer.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
JMc21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Wil

Thanks for your reply.

My current PC is quite a bit older than 8 years and I accept that it doesn't support the software, my concern is that the support team told me over the phone that these two specific capabilities were required, but will not clarify further.

So I'm now in a situation where I'm looking to upgrade my PC (for a few reasons in addition to this) but am concerned that even with a new, probably mid-range PC I could still be in the same position.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Normally just about any new PC would work, but some will work better than others.

If you know what PC you want to buy then there will be people down here who can help you with suggesting tweaks.

Some very general recommendations:
If the PC has an intel CPU then usually an intel i5 or intel i7 is OK. Best to have at least 4 cores and -at least- 4 threads.
For RAM you need at the very least 8GB RAM, 16GB RAM is better and more will help.
For disk system, an NVMe SSD disk would be best, Sata SSD is OK, spinning disk can work, but will be much slower (spinning disk should be 7200rpm minimum).
I'd say minimum disk size is 1TB (although less will work)

--
Wil

0 Kudos
JMc21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Wil

Thank you again for you response, really appreciate the help.

I will look for some options for an upgraded PC then I will ask on here if anyone has any experience with using the same CPU with this software.

Thanks

Jay

0 Kudos
JMc21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just wondering whether anyone has any experience running player 16 on an Intel i5-8500 CPU, with 16GB RAM?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Not running that processor myself here, but it looks great to me.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/129939/intel-core-i5-8500-processor-9m-cache-up...

The processor even seems to support VMCS shadowing (the vPro eligibility) so that helps for running nested VMs too.
--
Wil

0 Kudos
JMc21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again for the help - seems to run just fine.

discgolferjw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey all, I could use some brains to pick. Brand new Vostro 15. 4 cores, 16GB ram & i have both the "vT" virtualization options checked in the bios. I copied a known working VM from a similar spec Intel NUC i5 / 16gb micro desktop. This is to keep running an old Pagemaker publishing app on new OpSystems, while building the VM on Win7 with the old software. WIn7 was the last OS supported for this app, btw. 

When I Play the copied VM in VM workstation player 16, the mouse lags horribly to the point it's unusable. I've exhausted everything I know to try. 

0 Kudos