Contributor

System reboots after going into sleep mode, VMWare as culprit

System specs:

i5-6300U

8 GB DDR4 SODIMM, 2133 Mhz

256 GB SK Hynix SC308 NVME

Intel HD 520

Ubuntu 20.04.2 "Focal Fossa"

My system was having a weird issue where every time I closed the lid or told Linux to suspend the system, it would reboot if you tried to wake it up. Without warning.

So I tried a few basic steps.

- Reboot? No.

- Update Linux? Worked temporarily, but only short term.

I have a few programs with kernel modules on my system, so that was my next thought. VMWare was the one I used most and the only one I used recently, so I uninstalled that first. The issue seems fixed. I assume it was messing up with the kernel modules, given it was installed with a .bundle downloaded from the VMWare site and not through a repository, therefore had no way of updating the modules with the rest of the system on its own.

The reason this is being posted, is a question as to maybe how to get around this or to update it manually if this was the problem. This is only an assumption.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sleep and wake up issues are most likely due to hardware/drivers, software will make no roll IMO.

Any how the fact uninstalling VMWare fixed your issue, doesn't mean it is caused by VMWare, it could be that VMWare is triggering a hardware (most likely the CPU) and causes the failure.

I would recommend updating your BIOS and ME firmware in case you have Intel chip if they are not up to date, and try install the latest drivers.

I have no issues at all in my Windows host, but when it comes to the guests, windows or Linux, none of them can sleep, and I always disable sleep in all my guests upon install.

0 Kudos