Contributor
Contributor

System is restarted when starting a virtual machine

Hi,

Here is my Player version:

Product Name         Product Version    
==================== ====================
vmware-player        5.0.0.812388

Recently, when starting any virtual machine, I got whole system (VMware's host) reboooted. Please help me!

I tested by restart VMware (/etc/init.d/vmware), backup and emtpy all log files:

/tmp/vmware-thepostman/vmware-player-xxx.log

/var/log/vmware/hostd.log

and try to start a virtual machine, but there isn't sigle new entry was recorded in those log files (checking after system booting up).

The same with message log file.

My system:

CentOS release 6.3 (Final) - Linux thepostman 2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.i686 #1 SMP Wed Feb 6 00:31:03 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Hw: Proliant DL580 - G5.

All virtual machine located on internal hard disks.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
8 Replies
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

phamthanhdong, I know nothing about Linux, but your symptoms sound like a Bug Check (BSOD) in Windows.  I suggest you look in the Linux equivalent of the Windows Minidump folder and the System Logs and see if your system is crashing and automatically restarting.  My experience with VMware Player is that it finds the weak link in the HW.  I have had two systems that Bug Checked (often but not always) when I started a virtual machine.  One required raising CPU core voltage, the other a new Main Board.  I found that starting VMware Player, then selecting a VM and clicking "Play virtual machine" did not bug check.  There is a later version of Player available, but I suspect it will not help.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

EDIT:  If you are overclocking, please try Default Settings in the BIOS.

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
phamthanhdong
Contributor
Contributor

@johnhc

Yes, the newer version 5.0.1.894247 doesn't solve the issue.

For your mentions of "weak link in hw", I think may not the root cause (HP Proliant DL580 G5 - 8 * Xeon x7350 - 8G RAMs). Coz even with zero server loading, the issue still happens. Moreover, it was used to be fine before I try the trial version of VMware workstation and remove it (by command lines).

For "Bug Check", may I know how do you start this procedure?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

phamthanhdong,  "Bug Check" is the Windows term for a system crash, HW or SW.  The default is to automaticly restart and often the user only sees the reboot.  I do not know how Linux handles this so I cannot answer your question.  Hopefully some one that knows will reply.  In the meantime I suggest you search the Internet for your OS's response to a crash and how to debug it.  Enjoy, John.

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos
phamthanhdong
Contributor
Contributor

I must say, it is very sad when the fresh re-install the system (VMWare's host, also lastest version of VMware-player) doesn't solve the issue.

I don't know how to say my feeling now Smiley Sad

I attached two log files of VMware under:

/tmp/vmware-username/

incase of having any interesting, please take a look and help to give me your hand.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
phamthanhdong
Contributor
Contributor

I used whole time yesterday to work with HP Health check without any clues. Now I'm in hopeless state. Someone, please save me!!!

0 Kudos
phamthanhdong
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still trying to get it back as it's used.

I removed VMware Player and install VMware Workstation (9.0.0.812388 - without license - use VMware player only). And here are some errors I found in:

/var/log/vmware/hostd.log

2013-02-22T16:01:49.545+07:00 [B76F26D0 info 'Libs'] Msg_AppendMsgList stub: Cannot open file "/etc/vmware/ft-vmk-version": No such file or directory
2013-02-22T16:01:49.557+07:00 [B76F26D0 error 'Default'] An error occurred while loading configuration "/etc/vmware/ft-vmk-version",not all entries are being read. It is strongly encouraged that you manually inspect the file and fix any corruptions.

2013-02-22T16:01:49.557+07:00 [B76F26D0 info 'Libs'] Msg_AppendMsgList stub: Cannot open file "/etc/vmware/ft-vmx-version": No such file or directory
2013-02-22T16:01:49.557+07:00 [B76F26D0 error 'Default'] An error occurred while loading configuration "/etc/vmware/ft-vmx-version",not all entries are being read. It is strongly encouraged that you manually inspect the file and fix any corruptions.

2013-02-22T16:01:49.557+07:00 [B76F26D0 info 'Libs'] Msg_AppendMsgList stub: Cannot open file "/etc/vmware/hostd/ft-hostd-version": No such file or directory.

2013-02-22T16:01:49.558+07:00 [B76F26D0 error 'Default'] An error occurred while loading configuration "/etc/vmware/hostd/ft-hostd-version",not all entries are being read. It is strongly encouraged that you manually inspect the file and fix any corruptions.

And here is in /var/log/message when I lauch VMware Workstation:

Feb 23 15:44:29 centos kernel: do_IRQ: 3.115 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)

Some questions, please help:

1. What should I understand about the errors of missing files under /etc/vmware/ ?

2. Are those files needed with VMware Workstation? How about them with VMware Player? How important are they?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
phamthanhdong
Contributor
Contributor

And someone, please help to share all your files under:

/et/vmware

Please!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
phamthanhdong
Contributor
Contributor

I did somethings and I'm not sure which one solved my issues:

1. Re-install OS: replace Centos 6.3 i386 by Fedora 18 x86_64

2.Update latest patch from HP for HP Proliant DL580 G5 from:

a. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15...    

b. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15...

Please MOD mark my case as SOLVED.

Thanks!

0 Kudos