VMware Communities
Melv
Contributor
Contributor

Suggestion on Linix VM on Windows 7 64bit?

I would like to install a Linux VM, and I am using Windows 7 64bit.

I do not know much about Linux, and would appreciate  suggessions on which Linux to download and use. I would prefer something that has a small foot print and is also fast if possible. I would like the Linux to have good Java support.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

My personal choice of Linux is Ubuntu as it's really easy to use and does everything you should need. But i'm not a massive linux geek so i'm sure some people will disagree with me

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think Fedora 12 will be better for you. As you will using java feature it's easy to install libraries file and supporting package. Debian 5  is also nice.

Cheers, Yours Udin

indicium
Contributor
Contributor

I will second the Ubuntu as a good first choice.  I run Ubuntu, centOS, Fedora, openSUSE, SLES w/DB2 and although not Linux, Solaris 11 and every thing is free. I also run various Windows platforms too and ESXi with nested VM's.  My host is Windows 7 Professional.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

milton123 wrote: I think Fedora 12 will be better for you.

Aside from the fact that Fedora 12 was released over two years ago it enters End of Life next month, meaning no further updates, so I certainly do not see this as an ideal version of Linux for a nubie to cut ones teeth on (I said nubie since the OP said "I do not know much about Linux") and as the others posted I too suggest Ubuntu as a better choice.

0 Kudos
Melv
Contributor
Contributor

You are correct, I am a newbie so all the thoughts here about Linux were appreciated.

0 Kudos
Melv
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion,

and also thanks for everyone else he gave a good suggestions.

I will be testing a couple of the suggestions soon - and making up my mind in a few days.

0 Kudos
JoeBnKY
Contributor
Contributor

I have 5, WIn 7  Intel Quad Core Boxes all using 2-4 VM Players on them. Have used them with XP Pro & Vista 32 & 64 bit also. Of all of the versions I have used, Red Hat, Mint, Ubuntu and others I would say you should install VM Player 4.01 and Ubuntu 11.04 unless you like the new Unity search system of Ubuntu 11.11.  If you are more mature or a novice in Linux you would be better off using 11.04 until you get a good grasp on where everything is in the OS.

Everything in Linux is a FIle. Everything can be found as a DIR or Sub-DIR or File Folder in those; super easy. Being 50+ I prefer the old style system of Ver's 10.04 to 11.04 to the new Unity system.  But you can DL 11.11 and install an old version file systrm package to use with it if you want.  But it would just be easier to install 11.04 then upgrade after you have used it for a while.  Just Google for Ver 11.04 and you will go right to the DL page at VMware.

Hope this helps, good luck.

0 Kudos