VMware Communities
umen242
Contributor
Contributor

Suddenly I lost my VMware Linux ip , why ?

I installed CentOs 5.8 on VMware player version 3.1.2 that running on windows xp

Everything was working great I used bridged network configuration and I got ip (probably from the network DHCP )

But suddenly yesterday I started VMware and I could not connect , when I do ifconfig  –a I don’t see my old ip , in fact I don’t see any ip

What can be wrong here ?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ab_lal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you upgraded the Vm tools or Vm hardware

Check the new Nic name and verify if it is running

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Check if the virtual NIC is marked as "connect" at power on and "connected" while the guest is running

Check the boot messages if they tell you that the guest has tried to receive an IP address from the DHCPO server.

Change the Vmware bridged interface from "automatically choosen adapter" to your physical NIC of choice. Maybe VMware has switched the bridge to another adapter if one is installed in your host.

Check on the host if the VMware bridge protocol is still bound to you that particular physical connection.

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
umen242
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply , few questions

how to i capture the   boot messages if they tell you that the guest has tried to  receive an IP address from the DHCPO server. ? its to fast ... and the
VMware window is to small .

i dont see the option : "Change the Vmware bridged interface from "automatically choosen adapter"  to your physical NIC of choice"

i have only this im attaching screen

0 Kudos
umen242
Contributor
Contributor

another thing i did is : typing service network restart

and it gives me error  on restarting saying : "Determinig ip information for eth0 ... failed:no link present. check  cable ?"

the thing is that i have network in my pc and every thing is working  fine.

so what can it be ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

do you have vmnetcfg.exe installed ?

if not do  it - the buggy setup skips this must-have file

you MUST  disable "automatic bridging" - before you do that any further troubleshooting is moot

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Use "dmesg | more " to see all boot messages.

To see if you bridge is automatically choosen you must start the virtual network editor on the host.

AWo

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

It seems that the bridge is using the wrong physical NIC. So you need to change it from "automatically choosen" to a fixed setting.

AWo

0 Kudos
umen242
Contributor
Contributor

how do i do that ?

0 Kudos
umen242
Contributor
Contributor

how ?

by the way when i type your command im getting in the end the msg :

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP):eth0 :link is not ready

what does it means ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

rerun the setup like this:

VMware-player-3.1.3-324285_1.exe /e tempdir

then find net network.cab and extract it with 7zip or winrar

find vmnetcfg.exe and copy it into the vmplayer installation directory

then run vmnetcfg.exe and disable the "automatic bridging" joke

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

That means that the virtual NIC can't detect a link. That is most likely due to the fact that you have choosen to replicate the physical port status to the virtual NIC. So either your physical NIC has no link or the the bridge protocol points to the wrong physical NIC (one which has no link). So please change that setting as requested (in teh virtual network editor from VMware, you'll find a link in the Start menu if the host) or do a re-installation like continuum requested.

AWo

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

VMplayer does not install the vmnetcfg.exe - it was removed on purpose for some bizare obscure reasons.
There is no way around the manual extraction

0 Kudos
umen242
Contributor
Contributor

well i did every thing you told me to do , in the end only when i instaled the linux again , i got new ip

hell knows why ....

0 Kudos
ab_lal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks like the problem is resolved however you could have change the interface configuration (/etc/network/interfaces) to match the new ethernet interface.

Delete the Udev MAC address map (/etc/udev/rules.d/30-persistent-net.rules), reboot, and let Udev rebuild the map.

Edit the Udev MAC address map (/etc/udev/rules.d/30-persistent-net.rules) and map the current MAC address back to eth0.

For SLES 11 /etc/udev/rules.d/70-net_persistent_names.rules

0 Kudos