VMware Communities
sueii
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Strange intermittent network issue

I suspect this may be a Windows 10 issue rather than VMWare, but thought I would ask here in case anyone has encountered the same problem ...

I've been using VMWare Workstation Player on my Windows 10 pro desktop PC for over a year with no problem. There have been no recent changes other than the usual Windows updates. I use Putty to connect to my VMs. Suddenly I find that Putty can't connect, the connection just times out. This affects multiple VMs. The VMs can't ping each other, which they can normally do, but they can ping Internet addresses.  I reboot my PC and the problem has gone, my network is back to normal. The next time I start the PC the issue is back, another reboot, and all is fine again. 

I've tried restarting VMs. I've tried stopping and restarting VMWare services. 

Grateful for any suggestions as to what I could try next. It's annoying to keep having to reboot. 

Sue

0 Kudos
20 Replies
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

Thanks @sueii 

Yeah, it seems that Windows 10 works rather differently in Shutdown and Restart. In short, they say that Restart fixes many Windows problems, which is not the case with Shutdown. That is probably the reason, why Restart can work better.

This may also relate to problems running Windows OS on Linux VMware - don't know exactly. On XP and Win7 times - there were zero problems.

0 Kudos