VMware Communities
michael_teter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still no network config tool for Linux?

There does not appear to be a network configuration tool for Player 3.1+ for Linux. I have seen several threads referencing this need (or rather, that the tool is now missing but formerly existed). The last comment (question) about this was in May of 2010.

I realize Player is free, so I don't expect priority attention from VMware; however, if this doesn't get resolved, I will, like others, go off and investigate non-VMware options for virtualization within Linux. But since building a highly efficient, performant data center on ESX some years ago, I have been a fan of VMware's products.

Why is there no vmware-network-config.pl anymore?

Thanks much!

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not sure why the vmnetcfg tool has been removed in VMplayer 3

For now you can use this nasty workaround:

uninstall vmplayer

download latest Workstation - full version

install it

run it without license

this will block running VMs via the vmware.exe -GUI but it will allow the use of vmplayer

and this time the required add-on tools like vmnetcfg and vdiskmanager are installed and working

edit: red text added to make Woody happy

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not sure why the vmnetcfg tool has been removed in VMplayer 3

For now you can use this nasty workaround:

uninstall vmplayer

download latest Workstation - full version

install it

run it without license

this will block running VMs via the vmware.exe -GUI but it will allow the use of vmplayer

and this time the required add-on tools like vmnetcfg and vdiskmanager are installed and working

edit: red text added to make Woody happy

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
michael_teter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice. I followed it, and I now have the additional tools I was missing.

A couple of notes (mostly to self, but perhaps to others in the same situation):

• Method of uninstalling Player isn't obvious; my solution below.

• Running Player on Ubuntu 10.10 (and previous versions with kernel 2.6.*) requires jumping through some hoops. Link to solution below.

Uninstalling

$ sudo bash VMware-Player-3.1.2xxxxx.x86_64.bundle

That brings up the graphical installer that was used originally to install. It happens also to be the uninstaller Smiley Happy

Fixing compile problems on first run of Player

Mirla's instructions using Noel's patch worked great for me. (I fixed it some other strange way last time around, but sadly I didn't write it down).

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1627717#1627717

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

run it without license

this will block the vmware-GUI but it will allow the use of vmplayer

Not that I would condone using VMware Workstation without a valid License however even without a License with the exception of not being able to run a VM under VMware Workstation nonetheless the VMware Workstation GUI is quite usable and not blocked. You can still use it to create VM's, take/manage Snapshots, edit a VM's Network Settings that are not available in the VMware Player GUI, etc, etc.

0 Kudos
michael_teter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahh interesting.

Well, I wouldn't feel bad if I did use it. I've got a current unused Fusion3 license on the Mac behind me that I don't use... although if I had a faster way than USB2 to access external drives from this laptop, I'd move my VM to an external drive so I could use it from my Mac when possible. However, I tried running off a fast external drive (choked by usb), and it was not optimal to say the least.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well, I wouldn't feel bad if I did use it. I've got a current unused Fusion3 license on the Mac behind me that I don't use

Ahh, a rationalization to appease a guilty conscious. (Just kidding.) Smiley Happy

although if I had a faster way than USB2 to access external drives from this laptop, I'd move my VM to an external drive so I could use it from my Mac when possible. However, I tried running off a fast external drive (choked by usb), and it was not optimal to say the least.

I run my primary VM's from the local hard drive although I do run some from FireWire on my MackBook Pro and they do okay and better then from USB.

0 Kudos
mgr01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Although that's a very old post, I send this reply just in case you still see it and still need it.

In http://communities.vmware.com/message/1846715#1846715 I gave a way to ressurect the old good network editor.

It's very very simple. Basically, you make a link to a vmware-netcfg, which you make as a link to appLoader.

Check it out. It worked flawlessly for me, since vmplayer 3.0 and until the current 4.0.2.

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos