VMware Communities
jfr8595
Contributor
Contributor

Standard VMware tools the right one for these OSs?

Is the standard VMware tools the right one for:

CentOS 5.5?

Fedora 13?

Novell SLES 11 sp1?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BruceMcMillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

See if this link doesn't help you out:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf

best regards..........Bruce

0 Kudos
jfr8595
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, yeah it doesn't really address it, just says Install VMware Tools.

Could have sworn somewhere I saw something about specific revisions of VMware Tools for specific Linux OSs...

Right now I have the stock VMware Tools install, really not experiencing any issues, but I'm in init 3 and not even on the console 99.9% of the time, and it would be nice to hear from someone experienced what really is correct in case that changes.

I did have an earlier version of VMware tools than is out now with VMware player 3.0 on Fedora 13 and the mouse was flaky as h*ll on that, so I'd especially like to make sure that isn't repeated, especially like to "fix" it before an issue arises while I have time to work it out...

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In personal experience, the latest VMware Tools run fine in Fedora 13. You just have to run the following command before trying to install them:

>yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers gcc mkinitrd

0 Kudos
BruceMcMillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My apologies for the confusion, I thought that you were asking about VMware support for tools within a specific operating system, not differing versions of VMware Tools.

I tend to always stay on the version specific to the product that I am using (Workstation, Player, ESX Server, etc.) to take full advantage of the features of that particular build.

0 Kudos
jfr8595
Contributor
Contributor

Ok - so the VMware Tools version is matched to the version of VMware Player or whichever product specifically, not the distro of Linux neccessarily, right? So selecting the Install VMware tools from the player session of the guest OS is really the only correct way to do this... right?

And no distros have VMware tools already installed? Unless you used easy install, which is mistake imho, right?

If I got you right, this answers my question perfectly.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jpeach1
Contributor
Contributor

jfr8595,

Were you able to solve the mouse problems?

I have updated my VMware Tools for the Player and still have a buggy mouse every now and then, mainly when using gedit.

I'm running Win7 host, VMware Player 3.1.1, and Fedora 13.

Thanks!

0 Kudos