VMware Communities
Chineseracerboi
Contributor
Contributor

Sound Problems

Hey first time posting here. I have a bit of a problem... it is quite complicated actually. So recently I have been messing around with Ubuntu trying to get it to run. I was able to get it to run in both VMware Workstation and Virtual Pc 2007. Now to the problem. My sound on my host os is completely gone internally, but my headphone insert still works... I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a hp notebook dv6139us. I know that it is not my drivers. I have created multiple versions of the Ubuntu, but I have deleted most of them. Bad mistake on my part. I read that it has to do with something about the amplifier in my internal speakers. Please help me try to fix this!!! THANKS!!!! maybe some references would be: and . I do not understand what or how unapplying the patch and the suspend function. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Are you saying that all sound on your host only works through headphones? Even sound from the host, not from a VM? (IOW, sound control panel on host. Play a test sound there. Does it still only go to headphones? Then is a host physical machine problem, not a VMWare or virtual machine problem.)

If that is the case, then the problem sounds like the headphone jack of the PC. They usually have a mechanical switch to turn off the speakers when you plug headphones in. Try wiggling the headphone plug to see if you can get the swithch "unstuck."

What your links are refering to is no sound at all, not sound only in headphones. Which is why they're talking about reinstalling drivers.

0 Kudos
Chineseracerboi
Contributor
Contributor

Well it works when i use headphones on my notebook using the host os and on the virtual os. I'll try jiggling with the headphone jack

0 Kudos