VMware Communities
EdFoster
Contributor
Contributor

Small window

I have installed VMware Player 2.5.1, along with MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11. Everything is working fine. However, the window is too small--7 inches wide and 5 inches deep. When I maximize VMware Player, its top bar goes to the top of the screen. The rest of the Player window disappears. And the Windows 3.11 window remains unchanged.

The host operating system is 32-bit Windows XP Home. I got my virtual machine at EasyVMX.com.

I have tried changing the video resolution in XP. My card goes down to 800x600. That had no effect on the window size. Things did look fuzzier. (Native is 1600x1200. The monitor is a 21-inch LCD.) I looked through my VMX file, but could find nothing about window size.

Is the small window normal? Or, can I expand it to fill, or mostly fill, the monitor?

Any help would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The only way to get the video larger is with a custom video driver. And there are no VMware Tools packages for DOS and Win 3.x. You can try the SVGA driver from Ken Kato's site. http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/misc.html

EdFoster
Contributor
Contributor

I'll do that. Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
EdFoster
Contributor
Contributor

It didn't work, unfortunately. I was able to download everything and update the file. But I got an error message when I tried to start Windows with the SVGA driver.

I've loaded Windows NT. It has the same small window. I know I need VMware tools, but where do I get them?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You can obtain the VMware Tools installation ISO files from either Workstation or Server; or you can use the Open VMware Tools.

0 Kudos