VMware Communities
bpontious85
Contributor
Contributor

Slackware 14.0 Installation Problems

Slackware seems to be a popular developers distro but VM Player doesn't seem to work with it. I have gone through all the steps it even does the partitions and installs the operating system completely but when I restart the virtual machine without the ISO mounted it doesn't boot the linux partition it looks for it but does not start up. Instead it returns: Operating system is missing

I'm running on a win7 x64 AMD Phenom II N620 Dual-Core Processor 2.80 GHz with 4 Gigs of RAM

The slackware distro is version 14.0 x64 edition using the kernel version 2.6 custom build from slackware called

kernel-huge-3.2.29-x86_64-1.txz (This is the actual filename from the slackware site)

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on what to do to have this particular distro work properly I am all ears.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bpontious85
Contributor
Contributor

Oh correction sorry it wasn't kernel 2.6 I just assumed it was till I read the kernel name and realized it was not. My apologies.

0 Kudos
bubulubu
Contributor
Contributor

IIRC, the error for a failed 'Automatic' install of lilo flashes right past to the next configure script while the 'Expert' or more configurable install mode presents a dialog when lilo fails to install. I'd double check it's working by re-running /sbin/lilo just before restarting.

0 Kudos