VMware Communities
traycerb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Simple question re: Network setup

I'm trying out the VMWare Player Beta 3, starting from an image converted from MS Virtual PC to VMWare by VMWare's converter.

Works great so far, but I can't setup the network. My host is a XP/sp3 running and the VM is XP. I'm temporarily without a router, so my ethernet card is plugged into my DSL modem directly. I set it to bridged and used vmnetcfg.exe (which, unhelpfully, needs to extracted manually from the setup files) to verify that it was automatically connecting to the right LAN card.

Still, nothing works. ipconfig in the virtualization shows nothing connected, nothing can be pinged, etc.

What am I missing? The help files aren't clear on how I need to Windows up in both the host and the VM. Things will be more straight-forward when I'm settled in and have a proper router, but until then, any suggestions? Would there be benefit in trying NAT?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, NAT would be a better choice for the moment. Most cable ISPs only provide one public IP address with your account, and your host is (most likely) using it. Your guest has a different MAC address, and is seen as a different computer. When you choose bridged mode, the guest is seen by the outside network as a separate computer... and therefore your ISP does not recognize it, and will not give it an IP address.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, NAT would be a better choice for the moment. Most cable ISPs only provide one public IP address with your account, and your host is (most likely) using it. Your guest has a different MAC address, and is seen as a different computer. When you choose bridged mode, the guest is seen by the outside network as a separate computer... and therefore your ISP does not recognize it, and will not give it an IP address.

0 Kudos
traycerb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks. seems obvious, but I once I knew I needed NAT, it was easier to figure out what to do.

I did have to reinstall the full version of Player 3.0 over the beta (which initially didn't install vmnet8 on the host for some reason). Also, when debugging, I had switched off the "Connect on startup"option in the VMware network adapter settings, and forgotten to turn it back on. Works great now.

0 Kudos