VMware Communities
amitkg
Contributor
Contributor

Sharing Data in Vmware Ubuntu (Guest OS) and Windows (Main OS)

Hello,

First of all, I apologize if i sound too basic on my doubt. I am newbie to Vmware and start using 3 - 4 days back.

I have Windows XP as main Operating System on my Desktop. I installed VmWare client with Ubuntu 8.0.4 configuration.

I have some data in Vmware-Ubuntu setup which i want to access in Windows also. Is that possible? If yes, How to do this?

Any pointers will be helpful.

Thanks

Amit

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

1. Use the VMWare Shared Folder Option

You can enable it per guest in the guest's options dialog. Enable it and select a folder which will be used to tranfer files. You have to install the VMWare Tools in the guest to use this function. You will have a mountpoint "/mnt/hgfs" which points to the selected folder. Find the mount command for this via the link below (Section "Using Shared Folders").

2. Use a network share

Use a network connection between host and guest (via the physical network or the VMware host-only network (VMnet1)) to access a shared folder of the host via the Samba client from the guest or the other way around (share a folder with Samba and map it as a network drive on your host).

Find more here:

http://pubs.vmware.com/ws6_ace2/ws/ws_running.html#989795

Using Shared Folders: http://pubs.vmware.com/ws6_ace2/ws/ws_running_sharedfolder_viewing.html#989846

Using a Mapped Drive: http://pubs.vmware.com/ws6_ace2/ws/ws06_running.9.25.html#990008 (Only Windows-Windows is explained here. Because you have a Linux guest, you must use Samba on it).

Message was edited by: AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Jubish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which version of Workstation are you using?

Try the 'shared folder' option in VM settings. Using this, you can share a folder between host and guest. Please go through the Workstation User's Manual for more info.

0 Kudos
amitkg
Contributor
Contributor

My VMware Player version is : - 2.0.4 Build 93057

I tried Shared folder option but do not see that i can share Windows folders in Linux.

I think to see files created in Linux, I need to install Samba server on Linux OS and Client on Windows OS.

For reverse, i.e. to share Windows files in Linux, i think Shared folders should do the job. But I donot get it working.

(in VmWare Player -> Shared Folders -> Properties is always hidden and hence can not see further).

Any clues?

Thanks

Amit

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

My VMware Player version is : - 2.0.4 Build 93057

Wrong forum - this is VMware Workstation I don't know if Player has this option, however, let's assume it has this option...

I tried Shared folder option but do not see that i can share Windows folders in Linux.

Have you installed the VMware tools? Are they running?

Is the "vmhgfs" module loaded in Linux? Enter ' ps -e | grep "vm." ' to check it (post it).

If it is loaded you should see a folder "/mnt/hgfs". If you enter it, you'll should find the content of the Windows host directory selected there.

I think to see files created in Linux, I need to install Samba server on Linux OS and Client on Windows OS.

If you use Shared Folders you do not need Samba.

You only need to install Samba on the Linux box. What you need depends on the direction you want to use:

If you want to access a folder which is shared on the Windows host you need the Samba client package.

If you want to access a folder which is shared on the Linux guest you need the Samba package.

For reverse, i.e. to share Windows files in Linux, i think Shared folders should do the job. But I donot get it working.

Regardless which way you choose (Shared Folders or Samba (from host to guest or vice versa)), you can exchange files in both directions then. You only need to implement one of these ways.

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
amitkg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Awo,

thanks for your comments. I verified that vmhgfs module is loaded. I can see /mnt/hgfs.

However, When i click on "Shared Folders" (The option was Disabled and i selected "Always Enabled" .

After restarting the Virtual machine, I donot see the "Properties" option unlocked. It's locked and i can't click.

Any clues?

Thanks

Amit

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Amit,

In VMware Player, by default shared folder properties will be disable but if user have any added folder to share in VM, can change into the Always enable option and can use that folder.

But In VMware Player User will not have option to add shared folder through VMware Player. To add the Shared folder, need to use Workstation and add shared in VM. That VM can power on via VMware Player and can use that added shared folder. Properties in Shared folder will be enable after clcik on added shared folder only.

Please let me know if it you have any more doubts.

Thanks,

Deep

0 Kudos
amitkg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

It helps. Thanks for your comment.

Amit

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to VMware Player forum.

amitkg, how did you create the Ubuntu guest VM you are running?

0 Kudos
amitkg
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed Vmware Player and Ubuntu Image file for 8.0.4.

I think the link is -

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1224

0 Kudos
dlinder
Contributor
Contributor

Isn't Ubuntu as guest in a Vmware Player supposed to be able to find folders Shared in Windows? I've shared a folder and then tried to find it in the Places-Networks menu option in Ubuntu (selecting Windows Network), but nothing turns up.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

EDIT: Oh, and I've enabled the VMware bridge protocol in Windows, and set the Shared Folders option in the "VMware player" drowdown menu to "Always Enabled".

0 Kudos