VMware Communities
bearymore
Contributor
Contributor

Shared folder does not show up in Windows XP guest.

I am running VMPlayer 3.1 on a SUSE Linux 11.2 host. I created a guest XP system under VMServer 2.0 a while ago. Wanting superior performance and shared folders, I uninstalled Server and installed Player with no problems. VMPlayer accesses the guest perfectly. I updated VMTools on the guest and then configured a shared folder. Shared folders is always enabled, the "Map as network drive" button is checked, and I set the host folder permissions to rw for all users to make sure there would be no problem there. The share does not show up on the guest. From the documentation, I understand in should show up on the guest as "My Network Places > Entire Network under VMware Shared Folders > vmware-host > Shared Folders > <shared_ folder_ name>. Not only does it not show up, "VMWare Shared Folders" does not appear under Entire Network. I've also tried to map a network drive to the UNC location, "
vmware-host\Shared Folders\VMFiles, but that is not found (VMFiles is the assigned shared folder name).

When I was using server, I did try to set up a Samba network, unsuccessfully. So there is an entry for Microsoft Windows Networks under Entire Network. I'm wondering if this is causing a conflict, even though Samba is turned off on the host.

I have the network connection set up as bridged so I can use my network printer from the guest.

Is there anything I can do to make shared folders work?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bearymore
Contributor
Contributor

Still no solution. Any cluse, anyone?

0 Kudos