VMware Communities
Micheal2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shared Folder in linux

I need to use a Shared folder between my guest and host in VMware Player 16.Both are running linux.I have 2 problem, one how should I edit the /etc/fstab file to make my mount persistent in my desired location rather than /mnt/hgfs.  Everytime I need to run vmhgfs-fuse .host:/$(vmware-hgfsclient) ~/user  to get mounted and I only have read permission. I tried vmhgfs-fuse .host:/ /mnt/hgfs -o uid=0 -o gid=0 -o umask=0033 . I tried all methods in most searches still no solution,  Open-vm-tools version 6:11.2.5-2 and kernel version 5.12.9.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is a known issue.

From the readme on the last vmware tools made available there's this snippet:

VMware Tools Issues in VMware Workstation or Fusion

• Shared Folders mount is unavailable on Linux VM.

If the Shared Folders feature is enabled on a Linux VM while it is powered off, the shared folders mount is not available on restart.

Note: This issue is applicable to VMware Tools running on Workstation and Fusion.

Workaround:

If the VM is powered on, disable and enable the Shared Folders feature from the interface. For resolving the issue permanently, edit /etc/fstab and add an entry to mount the Shared Folders automatically on boot.

For example, add the line:

vmhgfs-fuse   /mnt/hgfs    fuse    defaults,allow_other    0    0

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is a VMTN area dedicated to Workstation Player, I've reported your thread to notify moderators it needs to be moved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is a known issue.

From the readme on the last vmware tools made available there's this snippet:

VMware Tools Issues in VMware Workstation or Fusion

• Shared Folders mount is unavailable on Linux VM.

If the Shared Folders feature is enabled on a Linux VM while it is powered off, the shared folders mount is not available on restart.

Note: This issue is applicable to VMware Tools running on Workstation and Fusion.

Workaround:

If the VM is powered on, disable and enable the Shared Folders feature from the interface. For resolving the issue permanently, edit /etc/fstab and add an entry to mount the Shared Folders automatically on boot.

For example, add the line:

vmhgfs-fuse   /mnt/hgfs    fuse    defaults,allow_other    0    0

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos