VMware Communities
R0ughn3ck
Contributor
Contributor

Shared Folder configuration with VMWare Player

Hello all,

i'm new in this forum and i tried to find at many websites a solution for my problem.

I'm looking for a possibility to configure the shared folder settings. I need to change the accesslevel of the mountet filesystem. Is this possible?

Here is my enviroment:

Host: Win7

Guest:

Debian

VMWare: Player 3.0 + VMWare Tools

The shared folder in debian is mountedwith the flags 777, but my webserver of choice (thttpd) do not allow the executeable flag at my files. In the file /etc/init.d/vmware-tools I figured out how vmware tools mount the shard folder. The command is like mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ /mnt/hgfs. The man-page of mount cannot tell me how to mount the filesystem vmhgfs with a custom accesslevel.

My next try was to set up the mount configuration within the /etc/fstab file like this:

.host:/ /mnt/hgfs vmhgfs

defaults,ttl=5,uid=1001,gid=1001,dmask=0775,fmask=0664 0 0

The good thing is that the owner of the mounted filesystem changed to what i configured. But the dmask and fmask options were ignored.

I'm helpless at the moment. Has somebody another idea?

Regards marco

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bigollo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I observe the same feature: fmask and dmask are ignored:

mount -t vmhgfs -o uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0111,dmask=0022 .host://archiv /home/archiv/

obviously the inverted octal code is needed: 0111 instead of 0666

0133 has no other results than 0111.

any ideas? A bug in vmware-tools?

usind vmware player 3 and according latest vmware-tools.

tia

Eckard

0 Kudos
fjkum
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I too facing this problem on my GuestOS, CentOS 5.5 running on VMWare Workstation 7.1.3.

0 Kudos
shark300
Contributor
Contributor

On Debian Squeeze guest, Windows Vista host with VMware Player 3.1.4, or Workstation 7.1.4

vmware-hgfsmounter -v -o uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0002 .host:/fejlesztes /mnt/hgfs

Result:

Setting mount owner to 1000
Setting mount group to 1000
Setting mount fmask to 22
Setting mount dmask to 0

It's a bug, It's Not a feature... :smileyangry:

Please fix it!

0 Kudos