VMware Communities
mmartin0926
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Shared Fodlers No Longer Showing in Guest OS?

Hello All,

Guest OS: Windows 7 Professional (*32-bit)

Host OS: OpenSuSE 11.4

I am not sure when exactly this stopped working, possibly when I updated VMWare Player from the previous version (*6.0.4 I believe) to the current version of "6.0.5 build-244374". Or it could have been after I did a repair install to reinstall all the Windows files back to my Windows 7 VM after Windows Update had a complete failure. I did fix the Windows Update issue by doing that, but I don't think it has to do with this issue now.

I have had Shared Folders working ever since I started using Player a few years ago, but recently it has suddenly stopped working. I have tried disabling all shared folders, deleting any shared folder settings that were already configured for the VM, shutting-down, then re-adding the settings and then rebooting quite a few times, but nothing has changed in that regard. I also tried to manually delete the shared folder settings within the .vmx file while the VM was shut-down and then re-adding the shared folder(s) through the GUI, but that didn't seem to help either.

VMWare Tools is installed and I am able to do things like change the VM's resolution, go into Unity mode (*moving things from Host to Guest and the reverse by dragging files while in Unity mode), so I believe VMWare Tools is working just fine.

Settings in my "Windows_7.vmx" File after deleting Shared Folder settings and then re-adding a shared folder and rebooting the VM:

> cat Windows_7.vmx | grep -i 'share'

hgfs.mapRootShare = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.readAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.writeAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.hostPath = "/home/userName"

sharedFolder0.guestName = "userName"

sharedFolder0.expiration = "never"

sharedFolder.maxNum = "1"

Does anyone know what else I could try or if there is any kind of bug in the release of this VMWare Player's current version?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mmartin0926
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bump.....

0 Kudos